• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soldier of Fortune aviators kit bag AN-6505-1

Smithy

Although I got this over a week ago I hadn't got around to posting a thread due to a home DIY project. But today I got a bit of free time to take a few snaps and thought I'd post them here along with a few personal opinions.

For the price (£40) this bag really is fantastic value and I think a great buy. It's strongly made in good heavy duty canvas and has a very real army surplus feel to it, it doesn't look or feel like an over-engineered or fussy repro but rather like an actual bit of military kit. In terms of accuracy to an original AN-6505-1 it actually seems to be very good, better than the ELC option which goes for nearly four times the price. The straps go completely around the bag like on originals and on the facing with the spec stencils it has the correct two fabric strips (which seem to have been commonly used for name and serial number stencilling), both things which the Eastman doesn't have. The pocket arrangement on the inside seems to match originals and whilst the zips are not NOS wartime zippers the Talon ones on the bag look the part. All up this is a cracking bag in my opinion and for the price is an absolute winner.

I'm going to be stencilling a 4th FG eagle on this and some name and squadron stencilling for a bit of fun so I'll post my attempts here when I get around to doing them.

AIMlSSf.jpg

LpZlCiA.jpg

eyCBxry.jpg

And here it is with Watanabe's 5kg mammoth "bible" of WWII aircraft which will even fit in the bag and leave room for a pack of sandwiches and a thermos of coffee.

WYBhP5H.jpg

B-Man2

For some reason I thought this bag was much larger until I saw your last picture.
Would you mind taking a photo holding the bag so I can get some perspective of its size?
Cheers
Burt

Smithy

Don't be fooled by the book, Watanabe's tome if you don't know it, weighs 5kg and is 34cm x 27cm x 6cm. If you dropped it on your foot you be itching it with a knitting needle in a plaster cast for 6 weeks!

7AGbRQB.jpg

B-Man2

Thanks Tim
That puts it in a much better perspective. That’s a better size for everyday use than the ones that I have, which are about 3 times larger and made to carry a parachute harness and canopy once the jump is completed and the jumper turns in his gear to the parachute rigger. Looks like a great piece of kit for a day or two outting. Thanks for the pictures.
Cheers
Burt

Greg Gale

Sold out?! Noooo!
That’s a fantastic yet affordable repro. Looking forward to seeing it painted! ;)

A2 B3au

Ignore the sold out message ... I just got me one after thinking I had previously ordered one only to eventually realise it was one of those late night eBay escapades which I can't really recall but ended up with a bag of sorts..

Cocker

Ignore the sold out message ... I just got me one after thinking I had previously ordered one only to eventually realise it was one of those late night eBay escapades which I can't really recall but ended up with a bag of sorts..

Ebay and bourbon doesn't mix too well!! :p

Flightengineer

Good bag. One of my friends is just crazy about them, buying up the WW2 originals on the eBay .
To me, it's too big :) My usual bags are much smaller :)
But on its own - this kit bag is excellent.

Earloffunk

Wasn’t aware the there are some reports around (being honest I wasn’t even searching...) but always thought that this kind of bag would be very nice to have. Just ordered me on of these bags. Hope it will get here soon. Looks like a cool bag to carry stuff around.

EmergencyIan

When I was a paramedic, one of my partners carried a bag very similar to this, but I believe that he referred to it, generically, as a helmet bag. He just packed his daily “stuff” inside with other important/pertinent material. He was ev-military, and proud of his service, but he always said that it was just a former chapter of his life. In fact, this may have been the only piece of his previous career that I recall seeing, other a random photograph a time or two.

Great guy with tons of patience for everyone.

- Ian

MikeyB-17

If I used a bag like that it would get trashed in no time on our ambulances, getting shoved into the tiny boxes we have for stowing our personal gear. I managed to get a Maxpedition rucksack paid for by the service when a searchlight in the cab set fire to my old one! It was expensive but it’s stood up to years of abuse with little sign of wear.

EmergencyIan

If I used a bag like that it would get trashed in no time on our ambulances, getting shoved into the tiny boxes we have for stowing our personal gear. I managed to get a Maxpedition rucksack paid for by the service when a searchlight in the cab set fire to my old one! It was expensive but it’s stood up to years of abuse with little sign of wear.

I understand, but his bag was GI Issue and either Nylon or 50% Nylon. It was built like a tank. I think it was sometimes stored between the front seats or in one of the front outside compartments, which was accessed sparingly.

- Ian

Earloffunk

Got my bag in the mail today. Its a nice one. I guess I will have to get me another one - one for office stuff/traveling and one for the gym. It has just the right size.

Also ordered a 23rd FG patch that I will attach to it when it gets here.

Cheers

Smithy

They're fantastic bags and more accurate than the much higher priced competition.

Post a pic once put the patch on too.