• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soldier of Fortune aviators kit bag AN-6505-1

zoomer

I think the font is off with pretty much all the repros Carl. It's funny as it shouldn't be a hard thing to do correctly.
My theory (I used to make part of my living working with type): Since it's not a 3-D object or an insignia, they're not used to paying attention. If they had to do (say) exact embroidery label repops, they'd think differently. Unless they were Eastman.

Here are some examples that turn up in just a few minutes' GIS. Originally some bags were stenciled, some stamped. Were any silkscreened? Nowadays they are.

Originals - far right with Railway Express tag
VINTAGE-WW2-USAAF-AN-6505-Aviators-Kit-Bag-ARMY-_1.jpg Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 2.05.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 2.04.52 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 2.08.09 PM.png
High-end J-repro - stencil is dead-on
1261637742.jpg

Other repros - very good to so-so (Eastman, center, could do better)
Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 2.03.33 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 2.04.20 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 2.06.41 PM.png

Soldier of Fortune - good bag, lousy stencil
(looks like the titles used on Happy Days)
Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 2.18.13 PM.png

Last edited:

Pilot

Still asking my dumb question...what to invest for a good WW2 original...saw a few arround 160-220 US$...no artwork, no ID.
Is that the price for a good original?

zoomer

Here's a fake stencil I made up that actually uses the font Stencil, which always looks hokey when neatly laser-printed. It should make you imagine stupid TV theme music with lots of tubas and snare drums, and a title like Private Goofball or Operation Screwloose.
fakey-stencil.jpg

This uses a font called News Gothic Bold that actually existed in the 1940s, and could have been used for this very purpose. It shouldn't form any extraneous images in your mind, just aviator's kit bag, property U.S. Government.
not-fakey-stencil.jpg

Last edited:

zoomer

If they don't have an ID or art on them, they will have mildew, big oozy stains, raggedy rips/ravels, and/or "field" repairs made with formerly-white first aid tape.

If they have none of these things, they will smell bad enough to remind you of all of these things.

Last edited:

Carl

Here's a fake stencil I made up that actually uses the font Stencil, which always looks hokey when neatly laser-printed. It should make you imagine stupid TV theme music with lots of tubas and snare drums, and a title like Private Goofball or Operation Screwloose. View attachment 8239

This uses a font called News Gothic Bold that actually existed in the 1940s, and could have been used for this very purpose. It shouldn't form any extraneous images in your mind.
View attachment 8240
I thougt the Font used by the USAAF was called "Futura" ?

zoomer

Carl said:
I thougt the Font used by the USAAF was called "Futura" ?
Only underneath the blue meatball. (Futura was designed in 1927.)
images.jpeg

Of course that's another favorite vehicle for screw-ups.
s-l300.jpg
(Frutiger, 1976)
images-2.jpeg
(Accidenz Grotesk, 1898, used only in German language countries till the 1950s!)
images.jpeg
(Trebuchet, 1996)
images-1.jpeg
(Univers, 1957)

Last edited:

jack31916

Thx...so why buying a repro?
Will try to find an original one, even if higher in price, but it should be “ warable/bearable”.
Thx again..
The canvas will do but the stitchings may give up... I've had that "pleasure" with my original RAF kitbag but it was fairly easy to repair and at the end an original bag will always keep some value. Decent originals are available on Ebay.

zoomer

Carl, here are original A-3 & B-1 cap labels. They were not very standardized.
Neither label has Futura, but the types are similar, and it certainly could have been used.
orig-a3.jpgorig-b1.jpg

Here is what it would have looked like. The size numerals are in Goudy, common then too.
orig-a3.jpg

Last edited:

A2 B3au

I regard jackets different but the bags I feel are a chance to put patches I have my own affiliations to ie blacksheep airlift squadron 777 goes perfect with my 77th fighters and fits the lucky streak I've been known to have. So pimping up seems good as long as you like it .cool looking forward to seeing everyones stenciled and patched bags,I'm lucky to have got the big holdall as well so I can have fun n that too and it sure is big I can't help but think how much cash a bank robber could bundle in to one of those things

Grant

Looks legit to me, but need to see what type of zips are installed . For what it's worth, the cleaner lighter khaki color kit bags with AAF stamp, Talon or Conmar zips tend to fetch more than other kit bags. Try and avoid kit bags with Crown zips as the teeth tend to break with use. Just my two cents!

Cocker

Hey you can get some vintage dice zipper pulls from this person on eBay. there are pretty nicely done!
US $35.00 buy it now. $3.00 shipping US
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-A2-Fli...224638?hash=item4680a84efe:g:6nEAAOSwGUBaPBMC
Pair of 5/8" Antique Bakelite Dice drilled and fitted with a brass ball chain
View attachment 8101 View attachment 8102

Somehow missed this, but 35USD for a pair of dices on a ball chain... I think I'd better find some on eBay and drill through them myself :)