• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soldier of Fortune aviators kit bag AN-6505-1

Cocker

I use generic textile/fabric paint, no particular brand. I also used stencil ink for a couple t-shirt, but it's a bit more fragile and, if not correctly settled in, can somewhat "leak" under water.

Flightengineer

Hi guys.
I'm working on a project for such a bag and now at the stage of applying personal inscriptions and would like to ask those who are deeply in the subject.
What did the real service number of an AAF pilot (officer) look like in 1942-45? Wikipedia has conflicting info about prefix letters and quantity of digits.
Thanks to all who can help.

Cocker

Hi guys.
I'm working on a project for such a bag and now at the stage of applying personal inscriptions and would like to ask those who are deeply in the subject.
What did the real service number of an AAF pilot (officer) look like in 1942-45? Wikipedia has conflicting info about prefix letters and quantity of digits.
Thanks to all who can help.

Usually, it would start with an "O" for the Officers, then a hyphen, then 6 or 7 numbers.

Flightengineer

Usually, it would start with an "O" for the Officers, then a hyphen, then 6 or 7 numbers.

Cédric thank you for quick response. Is there a rule about the first digits? I read that among the rank and file the first two digits were associated with the place from which the person was called. What about officers? Flight school numder or may be year? Or it was random?

Cocker

Cédric thank you for quick response. Is there a rule about the first digits? I read that among the rank and file the first two digits were associated with the place from which the person was called. What about officers? Flight school numder or may be year? Or it was random?

Nope, I think they were somewhat attributed in sequence, unlike regular Army service numbers.

Greg nailed it ;-)

stanier

I have some pics of the bags with serial numbers on them on my FB group if that helps ??
Sorry to wander off topic slightly but I always think one of lifes little pleasures is being in a hotel bar at the end of a good day with a pint of something reading vlj. Often seems to lead to swapping beery tales with @Carl! :);)

Carl

Sorry to wander off topic slightly but I always think one of lifes little pleasures is being in a hotel bar at the end of a good day with a pint of something reading vlj. Often seems to lead to swapping beery tales with @Carl! :);)
Pmsl !! It does doesnt it !! From one beer to another !! And having you tell me all about those "dark" voodoo brews you get down there !!!

Flightengineer

I just finished my own AN-6505-1 project. Thanks to everyone who helped me with information.

0f5c11734509.jpg

More photos and details here