• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOFTEST cloth for buffing leather?

MikeyB-17

I generally use an old sock. Or old underpants. Or any clean (especially in the case of underpants) bit of rag I have to hand. It’s not necessary to get too fancy with this. You’re talking about your thrift store Star aren’t you? In point of fact, it’s usually best to apply whatever you’re applying (Pecard’s, Vaseline, Snake oil etc.) with your fingers SPARINGLY, that’s the crucial bit, don’t plaster it on. It will become sticky and vile, and you’ll have a major operation to get rid of it. Guys have bought over-treated jackets in the past and had to resort to all sorts of noxious chemicals to get it off, which does the jacket no good at all. Personally I don’t bother with a cloth unless there’s excess which needs wiping off.

Smithy

Here's an old army trick although you might not want to do it on your jacket.

For ultra high shine on your boots/shoes once you've polished them, buff them with a ladies stocking. Works a treat and getting the stocking often involves much merriment as well.

Centaurus3200

thanks all. yup, it the star sportswear. i used two LIGHT coats of Bick 4. didn't do anything obvious. softened up the leather a touch, a subtle sheen. did NOT darken the leather. then i found a brand new package of shamwow rags or whatever from my dad. not cotton, but soft and did the trick.

3NMa

Great. I think you’re referring to chamois. We pronounce it ‘shammy’ in the UK.
Not being a native english speaking I have never really understood how this works. Only thing I've ever heard is "shammy", but do you know how they pronounce it in american english? My dictionary didn't help.

MikeyB-17

Don’t know what the boys across the pond say, but I guess it’s originally from the French, and should probably be ’shamwah’. It’s always been a shammy leather to me.

Smithy

Don’t know what the boys across the pond say, but I guess it’s originally from the French, and should probably be ’shamwah’. It’s always been a shammy leather to me.

Shammy back home in the Antipodes too Mikey. Dad was very, very protective of his, it was the real deal too not one of those synthetic jobs.

And I think you're also right that the correct pronunciation if you are from la Belle France is shamwah.

Getting back to the OP I use a lint-free piece of an old cotton t-shirt if I'm applying leather conditioner. You certainly don't need anything fancy.

Bombing IP

Chamois leather, fine for drying off coachwork on her Ladyships Rolls Royce but a clean bit of flannel or brushed cotton rag will do for buffing a bit of leather conditioner - which should only be used rarely and sparingly anyway.

Chamois

Amen to that ,this whole what type of cloth and conditioner is not needed if you keep doing it you will never get the aged look .These are military jackets made for harsh use not fragile things that have to be babied .I really do not undestand the thinking behind this special cloths and creams .

BIP

Centaurus3200

well, this jacket is nearly 80 years old and still looks remarkably good for its age. it hasn't developed much of a patina. and at this point, that would probably not be a good thing if it did. i also doubt it has ever been conditioned, as it's pretty damn stiff. yeah, yeah, horsehide is stiff... but my gut says it's dry.

i can say this, after 2 LIGHT rounds of Bick 4, the color hasn't changed, and honestly, i'm not even sure how much softer it is. but i'm going to stop while i'm ahead and just choose my future destinations while wearing it wisely.

it's interesting, shoe guys LOVE bick 4 because it's not harsh, sticky, etc. they use it on shell cordovan. i barely found any evidence of leather jacket guys using Bick 4. especially vintage jacket guys. most seem to use pecards, which IS thick and sticky.

Amen to that ,this whole what type of cloth and conditioner is not needed if you keep doing it you will never get the aged look .These are military jackets made for harsh use not fragile things that have to be babied .I really do not undestand the thinking behind this special cloths and creams .

BIP

Micawber

well, this jacket is nearly 80 years old and still looks remarkably good for its age. it hasn't developed much of a patina. and at this point, that would probably not be a good thing if it did. i also doubt it has ever been conditioned, as it's pretty damn stiff. yeah, yeah, horsehide is stiff... but my gut says it's dry.

i can say this, after 2 LIGHT rounds of Bick 4, the color hasn't changed, and honestly, i'm not even sure how much softer it is. but i'm going to stop while i'm ahead and just choose my future destinations while wearing it wisely.

it's interesting, shoe guys LOVE bick 4 because it's not harsh, sticky, etc. they use it on shell cordovan. i barely found any evidence of leather jacket guys using Bick 4. especially vintage jacket guys. most seem to use pecards, which IS thick and sticky.

You pays your money and you makes your choice. All the advice from the experienced jacket guys here is if you choose to use conditioners is to use them very, very sparingly as that avoids 'thick and sticky.
Some like Pecards or plain Vaseline while others prefer non petroleum derived products. l like Oakwood conditioner but have a shelf or two of leather cleaners and conditioners to choose from as we need to maintain a lot of leather connected to our other interests here :)

3NMa

You could always wear it beneath a B-3.

This how you mean?

1611599099538.png

Posted by @Kermit3D in the thread about pictures of everything except for A2s

petermack09

thanks all. yup, it the star sportswear. i used two LIGHT coats of Bick 4. didn't do anything obvious. softened up the leather a touch, a subtle sheen. did NOT darken the leather. then i found a brand new package of shamwow rags or whatever from my dad. not cotton, but soft and did the trick.
Shamwow was sold on QVC home shopping channel many years ago,they would advertise that a shamwow could soak up a full bathtub in one go .
My lovely wife bought me a couple for my Christmas one year so I could keep her car gleaming.Needless to say it was shit and I quickly “lost” them and reverted to my trusty shammy,,.:)

NYCGreg

Here's an old army trick although you might not want to do it on your jacket.

For ultra high shine on your boots/shoes once you've polished them, buff them with a ladies stocking. Works a treat and getting the stocking often involves much merriment as well.

I learned that in the Army too, and have used it for decades. It works superbly well. Good step for after the brush, when leather is not very tacky or moist.