• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Softening A Jacket

442RCT

Anyone with advice on how to 'soften' leather jackets? I sold a brand new Cooper A-2 jacket to a guy and bumped into him about a year later. He said he needed some cash and asked if I would buy back the jacket. I said sure and he brought it to me. The jacket was very, very soft and pliable, it almost felt like lambskin instead of goat. I asked him what he used on it and he told me..."I just put stuff on it." The jacket was so soft that it literally forms like a glove on any person who puts it on. I copied the, "Snow White and the 7 Dwarves", design out of page 122 of the book, "Hell Bent For Leather", replacing it with "Little Friends" onto this jacket.

Any suggestions as to what this 'stuff' might have been ? I have a few jackets that need to be softened.

RCSignals

Any number of quality leather dressings.
People who use Pecard dressing tend to be fanatical about it, so I'd guess if he used that he may have said.

I've used a product from a company called 'Weiman' with good results.
Even high end leather dressing meant for automotive seats can be good., just not one that leaves shine.
Just wearing a jacket of course will soften the leather.

Corky

442RCT: why not ask they guy...

442RCT:

Why not ask they guy you sold the jacket to in the original story?

He is the only one who know the answer.

All you can get from any of us is mere supposition.

Why you find out, please share the info with us.

Thanks.

fl1946

Surfing old VLJ msgs and found one re how to soften jacket. Harley-Davidson dealership gave me at no charge two jars of Pecard's under their private label. Used on ELC 1401 bought in 1998. For fun-of-it, applied thin film three consecutive weeks. Can't belive how soft leather became! Thanks to all on this forum for info.

:D

Jaguar46

I have been using Leatherique. This is a product that Aero Leather Company offers for its products. I like the effect it gives. The "Pristine Clean" products is good for cleaning. I use it on my BMWs leather seats. The Rejuvinator is great for softening up leather, and will soak in within a day, and really softens the leather. I bought a new Aero (had not been worn), and it was stiff and a bit large for me. I then used the hot water treatment program I like to use, then applied the Leatherique. I could not have custom ordered a jacket that would fit me better. I will post pics soon.

fl1946

Please do post, Jag. I did hot water tx on the 1401 and it too came out very nice. With dressing even better. At today's prices for repro's best to keep them in shape.

derleicaman

I use Leatherique as well. I like it because it gives leather a very supple feel and leaves a nice smell, too. I use it on most of my jackets as well on my leather Recaros in my Audi. I used it most recently on the GW Rough Wear I acquired from Weasel_Loader. When the jacket arrived, it had a very sharp, strong chemical smell. Hard to describe, but it kind of set your teeth on edge and I could smell it from about 7 feet away hanging in my office. I did a light application of Rejuvinator and then followed with the Pristine Clean, then a quick wipe down with a damp terry cloth. The Horween leather John used on this jacket is very unique, with a waxy finish. I did not want to loose this feel and the Leatherique did quite well in this regard. The leather still has it's unique waxy finish, but it helped kill the chemical smell very well. It also made the leather a bit softer too, although when it gets cold, the leather still gets very stiff.

I highly recommend Leatherique. It is quite expensive, but it doesn't use any petroleum products and is very gentle on leather. It does not darken leather like some other products either. After reading about it on a few auto detailing forums, I tried it and have been using it for a few years on my car. It was a natural to try it on my jackets. You can buy it from several sources on line. I have never seen it in any stores. It is recommended by the Rolls-Royce Owner's Club and they must know something! Try it, you'll like it!