SOF Type B flying helmet

Was curious if anyone here has owned or seen in person the reproduction Type B flying helmet offered by Soldier Of Fortune? If so what was your thoughts?

jack31916

Never seen one but from the pics this repro B-type looks the part with the press studs and even the Bennett buckle. Affordable too compared to an original or the very good Steve Silburn reproduction.

Dimitry M

I was looking at getting the SOF RAF C type helmet but its real pricy for me because I'm from the US

Micawber

Plenty of original C Types still around. If you can find one requiring work for the right price then Steve is ace at restorations.

philip.ed

But.... did anyone see or handled the SOF B-type...?
I have. Duxford have one in their museum as part of an interactive display for their new BoB experience.

You get what you pay for. They look alright from a distance, but they feel cheap and they are no where near as close to an original as a Sefton repro.

I would always recommend saving up for one of Steve's masterpieces.

jack31916

I have. Duxford have one in their museum as part of an interactive display for their new BoB experience.

You get what you pay for. They look alright from a distance, but they feel cheap and they are no where near as close to an original as a Sefton repro.

I would always recommend saving up for one of Steve's masterpieces.
Thanks ! Like you said; they look good on the website....

if Sefton's RAF C type is around or close to $200 I might consider
This is the email and prices he sent me, all in pounds so do the conversion to USD

Thanks for getting in touch. The reproduction items that I manufacture are listed below. All are to a very high standard and many can be seen in The Imperial War Museum at Hendon, Lambeth (London) and Duxford. If you are interested in a specific item I may be able to supply photographs. Helmets are available in both sizes 3 and 4. All prices are plus tracked postage.

D type oxygen mask with chamois cheek protectors - £434
5 foot reproduction cotton covered oxygen tube - £61
E mask - prices vary from £285 to £385 dependent on your requirements re mic, press studs, Bennett buckle etc.
E* mask partial reproduction - £285 with mic (£250 without)

Early or late pattern C type flying helmet - £265
Fleet Air Arm C type - £291
B type flying helmet - £286
Reproduction sponge rubber inserts for zip ear helmets - £30 a pair
Early D type flying helmet - £276
Reproduction 10A/13466 receivers - £34 pair
Reproduction external loom with large jack plug - £150

Working reproduction receivers - £88

RAF microphone carrier to fit early pattern D type helmet and B type helmet - £187
If supplied with a type 28 ping pong microphone - £322
However, we are lucky enough to have received a very large order and some filmwork meaning that I cannot take any new orders for a couple of months. All I can say is that I shall be taking requests for orders now and getting back in touch with customers at some point in the New Year when I have cleared my back orders. I shall check that the order is still required and if so will ask for payment. I can then deal with customer requests in the order that they were initially received. I do not want to take people's money too far in advance of the work being done.
All the best, Stephen”

Dimitry M

do you think this large purchase has anything to do with the large amount of crush caps bought from American Patrol cap co.?