• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

soaked sheepskin

Hawkeye

Yesterday I spent a good 20 minutes walking to class in a pouring rain while wearing my wpg Irvin, soaking the leather thoroughly. Now, I find this morning after it has dried out that it has basically accomplished what I was toying around with before with the idea of a hot water treatment. There is lots more grain and pebbling on the hide, and the hide feels slightly stiffer itself, feeling more like a real Irvin. Now, after a treatment such as that, would it be advisable to treat the leather with pecards to prevent it from totally drying out, or is it fine to simply keep wearing it the way it is?

Roughwear

It would be great to see some pics of the developing leather. Personally I would not use Pecards at this time. Pecards really should not be used on newish jackets. There should still be enough natural oils in the leather to prevent if from drying out like cardboard.

Hawkeye

Heres some pics of the leather as it is now. My only concern is, as you said Andrew, the leather drying out like cardboard. But if your right then I guess I shouldnt have anything to worry about.

irvin007.jpg

irvin005.jpg

irvin002.jpg

Jason

Try a little test patch of Pecards somewhere and see what it does. I think it would probably have the effect you say: preventing the hide from drying out too much - but the key is to use as little Pecards as possible. I have to keep reminding myself that when I think I've got enough on a patch on the jacket - its usually three times as much as what is actually needed!

Can't wait to get my WPG Irvin some use

Falcon_52

Hawkeye - I wouldn't worry too much about the leather drying out or treating it with Pecards at this point. The leather condition doesn't look too bad - in fact it looks great and more authentic to boot. You will be able to tell when it's time to treat the jacket. You will notice the leather starting to develop a little cracking/flaking in some areas. Then, it's a good idea to put a little conditioner on it.

Keep on wearing it, man. It looks sweet!

Noel

Hawkeye

thanks all for the positive comments. I for one absolutely love how its shaping up, and once I get my set of post-war/civilian dots installed it will look amazing. I was just concerned about how it would affect the integrity of the leather.

zoomer

Why is it that every how-to site about shearling/sheepskin tells you, "DON'T GET IT WET, and if you do, DON'T PUT IT IN THE DRYER!"?

My US Authentic M-444 was too big, so I washed it (no soap!) and hot dried it. TWICE! Now it's pleasantly krinkly AND it fits!

Does the DON'T apply mostly to unfinished sheepskins?