• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So whats a B-6 for?

Tim P

You do have a point there as I am not imminently due to fly any missions. My new one is likely to get used for just that puropose.
But it's original intended purpose??? ;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tim P said:
But it's original intended purpose??? ;)

The RMNZ description sounds about right ....

The B-6 was developed as a lighter jacket, which was easier to move around in. It was developed in 1939, and used officially from June 12th. The B-6 features action pleats and zipper adjustments on the waistline to allow a better fit and make more activity possible. Because the sheepskin is thinner than in the B-3, the B-6 was worn in combination with the A-5 trousers as a lightweight winter suit.

Tim P

so the idea was to trap cold air on the outside (we all know leather strikes cold) and use the insulation of the shearling in conjunction with a heated suit where necessary to eliminate the bulk and restrictive qualities of the B3/A3 combination.
for low altitude in winter used alone (ie without the electric suit) ?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tim P said:
for low altitude in winter used alone (ie without the electric suit) ?

....... and from flightjacket.com

As the Army Air Corps acquired more closed-cockpit planes, there arose the need for a warm flying jacket that was not as heavy or bulky as the B-3. In response to this need, they developed a medium- weight shearling jacket, designated the B-6. The B-6 was similar in appearance to the B-3. The most apparent difference was its less substantial collar, with one buckled closure strap, and its trimmer fit. The shearling was still visible at the cuffs and waist, but the pile was much thinner (usually only one-fourth inch deep as opposed to the typical one-half inch for the B-3 It was dyed the same seal brown color with a lacquer coating, had two flush- sewn slash pockets on the front, zippers or straps at the cuffs, but lacked the B-3's full-length wind flap behind the zipper. B-6s were not really warm enough for high-altitude use by bomber crews, but were warm enough (and trim enough) for use in the marginally heated cockpits of some fighters. And, like the B-3s, they were most often seen on the backs of ground crews working on the planes.

Swing

It was meant to be worn by fighter pilots, medium bomber crews, and heavy bomber crews in cramped positions. While not as warm as a B-3, a B-6 is still plenty warm, especially with long undies and couple layers of wool clothing under it.

~Swing

Tim P

Sounds about right. Mine is way less bulky than my B-3, more than you would think actually which is why I thought, no way for high altitude except as a basic cold barrier.

Fine for the pub though as already mentioned. lol

Ulmer's MAN FROM PLANET X (1950 or 1951) on TCM last night featured one of the leads wearing a brand spanking new surplus B-6, meatball and all. Looked badass. I want one too.

HHjackets

Peter Graham said:
In my opinion, the coolest shearling jacket ever made....

second that, if i ever get a shearling jacket, the b-6 is it. cool, smart and practical during autumn/winter for everyday use, at least for london weather anyway.