• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small size vs Big size?

taikonaut

My brother is 38" chest and all the 38 tagged A2s I had except maybe one with the 21.5" armpit ones, were all too tight for him to zip up.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
taikonaut said:
My brother is 38" chest and all the 38 tagged A2s I had except maybe one with the 21.5" armpit ones, were all too tight for him to zip up.

I'm sure ...

When I said "SUPPOSED to fit", I meant that was the intention, not necessarily the reality.

shanghai joe

taikonaut said:
shanghai joe said:
taikonaut said:
I measure 37" chest and most tagged 38 WW2 originals I have come across with armpit to armpit 21" measured from the back when zipped up actually feels a tad tight around the chest area especially when I flex but still look fine though when driving can feel some strain across my back. I have another tag 38 that has a 21.5" armpit to armpit measurement and that was perfect. So a guy measured 36" chest would have been the average size pilot in the 1930s when the blue print of the A2 was specified and would have been tagged 38 and that size is the most common almost became standard. I cant imagine it would be a tagged 36 you need a 34 inch chest to fit that maybe a very skinny guy or a woman which can go down to tag 32.
Squeezing into a jacket while standing still and do nothing is one thing, being able to run with it, do cartwheel, etc with comfort and without restriction is another.

tag 38, your jkt, which contract/maker was that?

Can you be more specific?

sure, like I said, your size 38s, what makers/contracts, ie aero, united, spiewark etc

airfrogusmc

quote]

tag 38, your jkt, which contract/maker was that?[/quote]

Can you be more specific?[/quote]

sure, like I said, your size 38s, what makers/contracts, ie aero, united, spiewark etc[/quote]

SJ is making a great point here and nobody seems to be getting it. Different makers jackets sometimes fit different in the same tagged size.