• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SM Wholesale N-1 Deck Jacket

dav3469

I have been wanting the N-1 Jacket for some time. However, with many other interests, I did not want to invest the money that the top of the line makers products go for. Add in shipping woes (a recent Aero order included pilfering somewhere down the line, shipping time, exchange rates and all the other usual international stuff), and I had decided to hold off. However, last weekend SM sent out an email announcing their N-1 was on sale. My usual size is 48, however with jackets that tend to run small, or if advised by the manufacturer I go up to ensure I can layer underneath.

I called on Monday, and was pleasantly surprised that I was able to speak with someone during Christmas week, as I am sure that is a very busy time. They advised to size up. I will also note that this is the second time I have ordered from SM. I ordered their 3rd pattern Jungle boots about a month ago. Both times when I had questions I had either live help on the first call, or a call back within a reasonable amount of time.

I have a good "general knowledge" of leather, cloth, and nylon military jackets, but as far as cut, stitches, how's and whats's of the originals I don't have the knowledge to say anything other than "it looks "ok" to me". The SM offering is lined with reported "100% alpaca", and the exterior is 14oz Bedford Cord. The tag seems to at least replicate original sytling in an acceptable manner. I found the advice on fit to be true. I could have worn the 48 fine, but the 50 allows for layering underneath. As I am trading SOCAL for the rural midwest upon retirement in 90 days, I wanted something I could use on the farm next winter. My quick measure at the hemline shows the alpaca pile to be about 1.25-1.5 cm. One feature I like is that compared to a flight jacket, the deck jacket collar is trim and neat or at least not oversized, while still providing warmth, and the ability to button up.

One aspect I don't like is the zipper. I would have thought this jacket would have had a more robust zipper. However, I did compare the zipper to my ELC B-10, as well as the ATF B-10 I have, and they all seem to be about the same. So your mileage may vary on that as I have zero knowledge on zippers.. I have enclosed a few pics below. Although I hate pics of me anywhere, I thought I should include the fit pics. Excuse the censcored face, but that is my best side for photo purposes lol. Also as a follow up, on Wednesday SM called me wanting to double check if I needed it as a Christmas present. They told me it had been sewn (guess they made it after my order came in?)and was ready to ship. I told them standard postage as paid would be fine, as it was a present for myself. As it turns out they sent it priortity mail, and it arrived on Christmas Eve anyway. Now SM is based here in SOCAL as well, so no big miracle there, but I still thought it was good customer service.

Attachments

• IMG_4587.jpeg
    IMG_4587.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 503
  • IMG_4588.jpeg
    IMG_4588.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 437
  • IMG_4592.jpeg
    IMG_4592.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 453
  • IMG_4589.jpeg
    IMG_4589.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 437
  • IMG_4590.jpeg
    IMG_4590.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 443
  • IMG_4591.jpeg
    IMG_4591.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 504
  • IMG_4593.jpeg
    IMG_4593.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 547
  • IMG_4594.jpeg
    IMG_4594.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 507

Peter242

I have been wanting the N-1 Jacket for some time. However, with many other interests, I did not want to invest the money that the top of the line makers products go for. Add in shipping woes (a recent Aero order included pilfering somewhere down the line, shipping time, exchange rates and all the other usual international stuff), and I had decided to hold off. However, last weekend SM sent out an email announcing their N-1 was on sale. My usual size is 48, however with jackets that tend to run small, or if advised by the manufacturer I go up to ensure I can layer underneath.

I called on Monday, and was pleasantly surprised that I was able to speak with someone during Christmas week, as I am sure that is a very busy time. They advised to size up. I will also note that this is the second time I have ordered from SM. I ordered their 3rd pattern Jungle boots about a month ago. Both times when I had questions I had either live help on the first call, or a call back within a reasonable amount of time.

I have a good "general knowledge" of leather, cloth, and nylon military jackets, but as far as cut, stitches, how's and whats's of the originals I don't have the knowledge to say anything other than "it looks "ok" to me". The SM offering is lined with reported "100% alpaca", and the exterior is 14oz Bedford Cord. The tag seems to at least replicate original sytling in an acceptable manner. I found the advice on fit to be true. I could have worn the 48 fine, but the 50 allows for layering underneath. As I am trading SOCAL for the rural midwest upon retirement in 90 days, I wanted something I could use on the farm next winter. My quick measure at the hemline shows the alpaca pile to be about 1.25-1.5 cm. One feature I like is that compared to a flight jacket, the deck jacket collar is trim and neat or at least not oversized, while still providing warmth, and the ability to button up.

One aspect I don't like is the zipper. I would have thought this jacket would have had a more robust zipper. However, I did compare the zipper to my ELC B-10, as well as the ATF B-10 I have, and they all seem to be about the same. So your mileage may vary on that as I have zero knowledge on zippers.. I have enclosed a few pics below. Although I hate pics of me anywhere, I thought I should include the fit pics. Excuse the censcored face, but that is my best side for photo purposes lol. Also as a follow up, on Wednesday SM called me wanting to double check if I needed it as a Christmas present. They told me it had been sewn (guess they made it after my order came in?)and was ready to ship. I told them standard postage as paid would be fine, as it was a present for myself. As it turns out they sent it priortity mail, and it arrived on Christmas Eve anyway. Now SM is based here in SOCAL as well, so no big miracle there, but I still thought it was good customer service.
Jacket looks really good . I’ve tested a buzz rickson and I must say that my Gizemo feels much better. Only the zipper is not historical correct
F1BACA90-B394-465B-A701-E0E1862DDB6D.jpeg
35AEAB94-3778-40D4-8542-0EEC26A0510A.jpeg

bfd70

Nice jacket
i think you are the first person I’ve heard of retiring from warm to cold. 7f here today in the midwest.
Turn back now!

dav3469

Nice jacket
i think you are the first person I’ve heard of retiring from warm to cold. 7f here today in the midwest.
Turn back now!

To quote Dorthy, “There’s no place like home”……. Plus being behind the lines in CA is wearing on us, time to go…..

dav3469

Looks like a nice jacket. Are you saying they’re made in Southern California??

That was my understanding. I ordered it after they announced a sale, approximately 18th-20th. The owner called me on the 23rd and said “my guy got your jacket sewn today”, do you need it for xmas, as he was worried it wouldn’t make it. After assurances it was a present to myself, he told me it might or might not make it. Was here less than 24 hours later priority post.

I didn’t specifically ask, but I took the inference that it was sewed here.

ButteMT61

So who are SM Wholesale? I've randomly seen them mentioned here, but don't know much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dav3469

So who are SM Wholesale? I've randomly seen them mentioned here, but don't know much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have only ordered from them twice in the past couple of months, but have seen their website for several years. Based on my limited knowledge they specialized in making items for movie productions, and branched into enthusiast’s and the re-enacting market. They offer several different items, but as an example I think their A2’s and such used to be sourced from “The Cockpit”, but now they advertise a made in LA version.

Last edited:

zoomer

Great looking and looks like correct materials and weights too. Does it have the drawstring waistband?