• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SM Wholesale Goat Russet A-2's Featured Item at $399

jeremiah

Well. I was told many things by many people who happened to be wrong before too. And it doesn’t need to be intentional either. Just people make mistakes and tanneries not strictly followed for QC can lie to its customers. Not saying this “isn’t steer”, just saying it looks more like goat than steer so maybe it was a cow impersonating a goat.

Course I am staking my wig on it. Ha.
But I could be wrong too. Only could tell for sure up close and personal with it.

Still a nice jacket either way.

zoomer

I was told it was steer hide by Steve at SMW. He said he couldn't make a goat in my size.
Goats only grow so big, so he might have had to do a pieced back panel or other non-spec construction. Still, the steer looks dandy.

54 was the largest size specced for A-2s (32 the smallest). An original 52 by Dubow has turned up but I do not know that any 54s survive.

And of course G-1s have been made in cow processed to imitate goat. (One 1970s contract was supposedly naugahyde...yuk! :eek: )

Last edited:
Goats only grow so big, so he might have had to do a pieced back panel or other non-spec construction. Still, the steer looks dandy.

54 was the largest size specced for A-2s (32 the smallest). An original 52 by Dubow has turned up but I do not know that any 54s survive.

And of course G-1s have been made in cow processed to imitate goat. (One 1970s contract was supposedly naugahyde...yuk! :eek: )

I didn't want a multi piece back or weird panels etc on my jacket. I'm fortunate I'm just big (small?) enough for the size 54 and it fits me like a glove. That's with in original specs, and I was told that any sizes over that start to distort the look of the jacket. Besides, I think I'd be a little nervous to see a goat giant enough to make a hide that big
The biggest original I've ever seen was a size 52 aero (I think it was an18775 contract?) on eBay a few years ago. I really wanted to buy it but the seller refused to budge off the $3k it was listed as. And it was just a plain Jane with no provenance! In the end I just couldn't justify that kind of money. Its probably for the best though. I doubt I could comfortably wear it and if I could I know I would wear it all the time. And that would probably ruin it. So I will just stick to repos.

ausreenactor

It’s a pretty nice jacket for the price , if you like Goatskin and you don’t mind having a jacket that is 100% accurate in terms of detailed construction . I like them.
Have just thrown a bid on a 42... Will see if I am lucky. VERY excited about this jacket...