• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SM Wholesale Goat Russet A-2's Featured Item at $399

johnwayne

Aero sell nice 'Capri' bells and bomb tag zip pulls! Gotta say that McColgan A2 looks quite nice but crikey, how wide are those epaulets? With shoulders that wide I wouldn't want a right hander from you Mr Bombing IP!!

Tim P

For $399, who gives a flying __? Oh, I get it, you want an excellent repro for an even more extraordinary price. This one is just fine, nothing to see here, move along.

Cant help but agree. A grands worth of what is essentially detail, in what was never intended as fine tailoring.... which renders the detail we obsess about somewhat superfluous.
I trust S M quality.

B-Man2

I own an S&M in the lightweight goatskin and I really like the way the jacket fits and drapes. The only area I’d like to see improved is the size of their pocket flaps. Just a bit to large for the pockets.

E9F5A68B-1562-4E35-BF83-24DEFDA2194A.jpeg

B-Man2

It’s a pretty nice jacket for the price , if you like Goatskin and you don’t mind having a jacket that is 100% accurate in terms of detailed construction . I like them.

It’s a pretty nice jacket for the price , if you like Goatskin and you don’t mind having a jacket that is 100% accurate in terms of detailed construction . I like them.
Mine is actually steerhide. I've never been bothered by that top tier level of accuracy. It looks like a nice jacket and fits ok, so I'm happy. There were so many subtle original variations that I think this jacket would blend right in if you somehow found yourself on an airbase in 1942.
Honestly we only get the stich -for-stitch accurate repos for ourselves(and forums like this), the general public could care less. In all the years I've worn an A-2 I've only had a handfull of people recognise it as a bomber jacket, let alone an A-2. And of those only my college history professor knew it was an A-2. And even he didn't know anything about how many suppliers there were and fit details etc etc. He thought they were just cookie cutter generic leather kit the gov issues out, like socks or belts.

B-Man2

Mine is actually steerhide. I've never been bothered by that top tier level of accuracy. It looks like a nice jacket and fits ok, so I'm happy. There were so many subtle original variations that I think this jacket would blend right in if you somehow found yourself on an airbase in 1942.
Honestly we only get the stich -for-stitch accurate repos for ourselves(and forums like this), the general public could care less. In all the years I've worn an A-2 I've only had a handfull of people recognise it as a bomber jacket, let alone an A-2. And of those only my college history professor knew it was an A-2. And even he didn't know anything about how many suppliers there were and fit details etc etc. He thought they were just cookie cutter generic leather kit the gov issues out, like socks or belts.
I couldn't agree with you more Blue.
Most people could care less about the detailed accuracy of the jacket and don't know much about it or the history it represents. They simply like or dislike the jacket based on they're first look and they're take on the guy wearing it...……. AND THAT'S WHY......we do what we do!>>>>>> HALLELUJAH!!! …. ;)

Bombing IP

People do comment on the pockets being to high up and the pocket flaps to long , I have scanned a lot of jackets at the Good Wear site and a some of the contracts are similar (pockets high flaps long ). The SM wholesale is not any makers copy its just a SMW and the only thing I care about is it fits and its comfortable ,and yes its breaking in nicely with great grain coming through . I will post pictures soon but its been a great jacket ,and as said before most people think its a brown leather jacket no one has ever said to me on any jacket that I owned nice A2 there buddy . To be honest first A2 type that's been comfortable to wear and I have had them all .I am loosing interest in perfection because of the price point we are at now , near enough is the right price .

BIP

Last edited:

DJS48

Mr. BlueKnight54,
I like the look of your SMW steer A-2. What is the size?

I am considering trying one of the steer SMW A-2, russet.

Don

Mr. BlueKnight54,

Don
I highly recommend the jacket. I had mine custom made in a size 54. My wife has one in light seal brown size 46. As pictured:
560917457.jpg
IMG_6783.jpg
IMG_7149.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7150.jpg
    IMG_7150.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_7151.jpg
    IMG_7151.jpg
    887.3 KB · Views: 171
Mr. BlueKnight54,

Don
Those pictures are what Steve at SMW sent me when I ordered her jacket. Its an off the rack size 48, not 46. I sent the reply before I realized I sent the wrong size. My mistake!

Mr. BlueKnight54,

Don
It also has some of the finer nuances that I personally look for in an A2. It has a triple marked talon zipper with the sunburst stopper, aaf logo on the wind flap and lot size tag under the pocket flap as well as seamless cuffs. I apologize for the poor quality pictures
20180512_122446-1.jpg
20180512_122452.jpg
20180512_122559-2.jpg
20190510_154322~2-1.jpg

I can post some pictures of both jackets tomorrow. They're both developing some nice wear/patina after only about 9 months of owning them.

DJS48

Blueknight 54,

Thank you for the pictures as they provide some close-up detail of some of the components. I think it would be a nice addition for me. Thanks again.
Don

Blueknight 54,

Thank you for the pictures as they provide some close-up detail of some of the components. I think it would be a nice addition for me. Thanks again.
Don
My pleasure. Steve at SMW will get you the right size, he is easy to work with.