• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SM Wholesale First Pattern Tanker

B-Man2

Like the jacket, but it looks a little big on you.
Just my opinion. What are your thoughts?

B-Man2

IMG_6224.JPG

Got it. Looks good.
I've got a 2nd variation tanker that fits a little trimmer.
I was trying for the Brad Pitt look in Fury:p:D
I never even got close:(

Last edited:

EmergencyIan

Overall, it doesn’t look like a bad fit and it looks nice. I think what he was getting at is the shoulder seams. They’re half way down your deltoids. That’s what looks off or makes the jacket appear as if it’s not the proper fit or, at least, well tailored, in regards to the shoulders.

- Ian

CBI

thanks and no worries............you guys are funny...............I love the sloppy look of a Tanker. I have owned 6 or 7 Tankers from various makers and have gone through different sizes and a roomier fit is for me, what I prefer. SM Wholesale does a pretty good job at making these heavy like originals (most repros a too light weight) so the jackets are pretty bulky. I am an across the board 44 regular, my SM Wholesale Tanker is a marked sized 42. When they made mine, Steve told me to go down a size unless I wanted it bulky!!!!! A 40 was too narrow in the shoulders. Anyway, we all have differing fits ideals. I have owned Tankers with a fit more in the Brad Pitt category and that works OK for me as well. Actually, Pitt's jacket(s) were tailored in detail to his exact build. John's few Good Wear Tankers are still the best repros. I finally had a chance to try a BR which was pretty disappointing, looked great in the pictures. ATF still the best buy.

CBI

ATF makes nice fun Tanker that looks great worn. The fleece lined one is also a nice jacket. The authenticity issues with ATF are:

Strange lines (elastic?) on the interior of the collar knits, zipper that goes all the way to the top of the collar instead of an inches or so less (like originals) and the bi-swing back on the ATF is very minimal, almost a mock bi-swing, not very pronounced. Although not as authentic, it kind of looks preferable to a genuine bi-swing that can make you look almost like a turtle! The weight of the ATF is not quite heavy enough but really fine. The ATF green is excellent. If I can ever get my hands on another Good Wear Tanker, that will be THE Tanker repro, not sure why the heck I sold mine. BR makes a nice jacket but its not as heavy as originals and there are some color variations over the years that I would be careful of. WW2 Impressions makes a nice Tanker. I have never seen one in person but I have a concern that they are somewhat short waisted based on customer photos. Its also a lighter shade of green which I don’t care for as much. Never owned a What Price Glory Tanker but in reading the reviews, sounds like each batch varies and there are some strange issues with sizing. Looking at everything overall, my choice would be an SM Wholesale first or second pattern Tanker. If one does want a first a pattern, one has to contact Steve directly as they only offer a patched version on their website. If one is wanting a non-patched version, they will make it for you. It doesn’t take that long. Real McCoy’s might be another option.

If ATF would fix the odd knits and zipper issue (go ahead and leave the “mock” bi-swing back), that would be my top retail choice.

EmergencyIan

^I'm with you on the Buzz Tanker. It looks great, but it just was a bit awkward, for me, when I wore it. It may just be me. Many people seem to love Tankers all brands. I think they look great when other people wear them and I think it looked fine on me, but the collar always bugs me. I also owned a WWII Impressions version about a decade ago and it's collar bothered me, as well. That version of their Tanker also was on the bulky side. I think they have re-patterned their tankers, now. On the other hand, I LOVE the look of the U.S. Navy zipper front WWII deck jacket (navy blue). It's a similar type jacket to the tanker, but it works much better for me...collar and all.

Back to the Buzz tanker for a moment, it isn't heavy and certainly is not very warm. I'm not sure how you could survive in one outside during a cold Winter. I'm in NYC, and I remember freezing on a windy Fall day in mine. That may be the case with most, if not all, tanker jackets, however. I've never had an original and only know the Buzz and the "old" WWII Impressions versions. So...

End of my rambling... Carry on.

- Ian

johnwayne

Hmm, I really like my 2nd pattern BR tanker and have to say find it most warm, having said that if it really was cold I doubt it would be the go to jacket purely 'cos I don't think of it that way! Mind you here in the UK our recent past winters haven't been overly cold for long. As to the fit then I'm always aware of the snug fit of its bi swing back compared say to my G1's, particularly across the shoulders but I certainly would want a bigger size as its perfect n every other respect. This winter though my new BR B10 will be getting a good airing!!

B-Man2

CBI
Great comparison. I appreciate all of the info you provided. Very good advice.
Thanks

B-Man2

Just checked out the WWII Impressions Tankers. They look very authentic . I think this is the one for me. Ordering a 2nd model variation tomorrow.
Thanks CBI

Thomas Koehle

I think fitting wise that Brad Pitt appearance in FURY is a very relaxed "interpretation" of mass-produced military garment ...

I never ever saw tank-crew with a tanker fits like on Mr. Pitt - Johns "CBI"`s period pic shows the reality of WW2 US armed forces personel just being happy to have something warm to wear not that focusing wether it looks cool or not

just my 2 cents