• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sizing on a B-3

mulceber

Since the weather's eventually going to go pear shaped here in Michigan, I've been eyeing B-3 jackets online, but am unsure of size. What's the prevailing wisdom on sizing for a B-3? Same size that you wear for an A-2? A size below that?

s4rmark

As your in the USA, look at the History preservation associates website. They are an Eastman stockists and have the product measurements and sizing tips for all ELC products.

mulceber

As your in the USA, look at the History preservation associates website. They are an Eastman stockists and have the product measurements and sizing tips for all ELC products.

Thanks, yeah, I’ve been perusing the History Preservation site. I’m just thrown by the measurements because the thickness of the shearling means that the pit-to-pit isn’t a good indicator of how roomy the inside is. Seems from what people are saying like they size about the same as an A-2 jacket, so I’ll be on the lookout for a 42.

MikeyB-17

Yep, I'm a size 42 and my size 42 Aero B-3 fits fine. Room for an A-2 underneath if necessary, without being excessively big.

adfrost

Thanks, yeah, I’ve been perusing the History Preservation site. I’m just thrown by the measurements because the thickness of the shearling means that the pit-to-pit isn’t a good indicator of how roomy the inside is. Seems from what people are saying like they size about the same as an A-2 jacket, so I’ll be on the lookout for a 42.

My theory would be, take the pit-to-pit and subtract about 1.18" (15mm x 2) from that to account for the thickness of the shearling. History Preservation fitting tips sections recommends at least 3" of interior space to have a trim fit, but allow for movement. So in my case with a 44" chest, a size 44 has P2P of 25" (50"), minus 1.18" (48.82"), leaves 4.82" of space. So in theory a size 44 should fit me even accounting for the shearling thickness.

B-Man2

My theory would be, take the pit-to-pit and subtract about 1.18" (15mm x 2) from that to account for the thickness of the shearling. History Preservation fitting tips sections recommends at least 3" of interior space to have a trim fit, but allow for movement. So in my case with a 44" chest, a size 44 has P2P of 25" (50"), minus 1.18" (48.82"), leaves 4.82" of space. So in theory a size 44 should fit me even accounting for the shearling thickness.
What were you a math major in college?
Wayyy to complex for my pea brain:oops:
Just pick a size ;)

Last edited:

foster

My experience with B-3 sizing is a bit different. Had an ELC 44 that was almost too small, and a RMNZ 44R that is longer and larger than the ELC. So much depends on the maker and their patterns.

mulceber

If your ever in Boston your more than welcome to try my 42 aero and my 44 eastman on

See, stuff like this is why I love the community here. I come into Boston every now and again. If I’m in town, I’ll get in touch - maybe I can buy you a drink while I try on the two jackets.

Griffon_301

I own a old ELC house B-3 in 44 and can wear it over a 46 ELC RW 277752 A-2 :D
So with the years, the shearling gets shorter providing more P2P :D

Artie

See, stuff like this is why I love the community here. I come into Boston every now and again. If I’m in town, I’ll get in touch - maybe I can buy you a drink while I try on the two jackets.
Lol will sit at the bar with them on! People will look at us like wtf...?

mulceber

Yeah, I took another look at them and they suggested 6 inches of room for a trim fit, which would put me at a size 40. I wear a 42 in A-2 jackets, so this is a similar ballpark. I'd be ok with a bit more of a relaxed fit, but that gives me a good ballpark.

mulceber

Thanks everyone for the sizing advice. I took a chance on a size 42 ELC from Drifterproductions after they told me they do exchanges, and the fit was spot on.

adfrost

Thanks everyone for the sizing advice. I took a chance on a size 42 ELC from Drifterproductions after they told me they do exchanges, and the fit was spot on.

I’ve been going back and forth with him on a trade-in credit of my size 48 .50Cal towards a size 44 Werber. No success yet, unfortunately.