• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sizing advice for a RW 23380 vs. a Dubow 1755

mulceber

Hi All,

Relative newby question on sizing advice: I've ordered a Rough Wear from BK and am having trouble deciding on sizing. I already have a Dubow 1755 in size 42 that fits me well (pictures below) and has standard measurements: pit to pit 22.5, shoulders 18, back 24.5, sleeve 25.5. Based on that, and the way the jacket feels on me, I was thinking that for a RW 23380, I should go up a size (44R = pit to pit 23, shoulders 18.5, back 25.25, sleeve 25.25). This would leave me with an extra inch of chest room, and basically the same sleeve length. Andy's advice is to stick with a 42 (pit to pit 22, shoulders 18, back 25, sleeve 25), which would be a bit tighter than the Dubow. Andy's never steered me wrong on sizing, but I'm a little worried about that. Having only experienced one A-2 before, I don't really know how it fits on the scale of slim to relaxed, but it definitely feels like a slim fit to me (hence me including pictures). Just to throw another option into the mix, Andy's also offered to do some custom sizing, but I'm a little hesitant: I figure, if you're spending all that money for an exact reproduction, why not go with the original sizing?

What do you all think? Should I go up a size? Stick with a 42? Do custom sizing?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 345
  • unnamed2.jpg
    unnamed2.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:

mulceber

your dubow appears to be new, and not broken in yet....thus, it will give a little and conform to your body shape.

Actually, I think it mostly looks new because it's made of Badalassi cowhide, :p which doesn't break in like Liberty HH (the new jacket will be Liberty)...but your point still holds true. It hasn't really broken in and conformed to me yet.

Last edited:

jeremiah

Here is a crazy tale.
My ELC monarch was a size 40. Fits me like a glove now.
Not sure if all HH or CH shrinks as much as ELC warhorse but man I got lucky.

mulceber

That's...a very good point. At the moment I'm leaning toward going for a 42, maybe with a half inch added to the sleeves. I'd like to hear more opinions before I commit though.

B-Man2

If you live in a climate where is gets cold for 6 months a year, you might want to consider a little larger size to layer a jumper or heavy shirt under . It’s all a matter of personal preference. I have A2’s for light weather that I wear a t-shirt with and I have an A2 that fits me a bit large for cold weather and layering.

Brettafett

I have BK and Platon Dubows as you know, both 42, and a RW on the way also.
Based on your pics and what you said above, I would go with a 42 long. Add 0.5 to 1 inch on sleeves and body (to account for creasing and wear).

From my experience, for a given size... the RW should be a touch roomier in the shoulders, with a touch more 'give' in the back panel, and a touch trimmer in the torso.
Now, this all depends on your personal fit/look preference. If you like the wearable trim fit/feel/look - 42 long
If you would prefer something a bit more comfy or want to layer perhaps, that's still very WW2 authentic looking - 44 would be fine, won't be that much of a difference really.

I don't really follow the idea to go for original sizing. You're paying top dollar for a modern repro and your primary concern should be that it fits 100% perfect for you. No matter how cool it looks, if it doesn't fit right, you will not wear it.
Original A-2s varied even within the same contract and batch. Put any two original A-2s of the same size and contract together and you'll often find some variance. A war was on and they were churning them out. Thats also one reason why all the top-tier maker's jackets vary slightly, they are all copying their original... I know we all know this...
Requesting a 42 with a touch added to shoulders or chest for example, will not detract from authenticity.
Theres nothing like an original, except an original. Everything else is a repro ;) and that's a jacket that you are paying for, so make it fit like a glove!

p.s. Love your Dubow btw. Looks sweet

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

as a personal preference i like longer sleeves on my jackets, as sleeves tend to shorten over time due to "elbow creasing". whats more, i just dont like sleeves ridinding up my fore arms when driving. the suggestion of a 42 long is a good suggestion. btw, i concur with bret, in the even within the same size, same contract of originals, there are often significant diffs. what we can deduce 70+ years after they were made is that some were made that way. and some have ended up that way through wear, shrinkage, non wear, etc.

mulceber

...and a touch trimmer in the torso.

That actually may be a bigger worry than the sleeves: my Dubow is tighter around my belly than it is around my chest. From what I've seen of the pictures of your dubow, and the measurements you've posted, I think you and I have fairly similar builds, except that you're a bit lankier and I'm not as trim in the belly. Maybe I should go for the third option and get a 43.

what we can deduce 70+ years after they were made is that some were made that way. and some have ended up that way through wear, shrinkage, non wear, etc.

I wonder if the original patterns that some of these companies used still exist in a paper format...I suppose probably not, as it was all probably trashed when the companies themselves went belly-up. It's a shame - those patterns would be worth a lot of money these days...

Last edited:

Brettafett

I recon that's a good way to go, a slightly trimmed down 44. Best of all worlds.
We all know these jackets loosen up and form to our bodies with wear... You cannot really go wrong with the way it will look, but getting it to be comfortable as a wearer, will make it a 'keeper'.
You going for seal or russet liberty?
I am very happy with the seal liberty.

jeremiah

I remember that you weren’t happy with it and we all told you to give it some time to form up to your frame. Glad to hear it worked out.

No Burt I was told emphatically by all on here that it was too large for me and it was.
I kept because I liked it.
Now it does fit like a glove. But a size 40 fitting me like a glove is some significant shrinking and forming.

You are thinking of my BK victory hide aero.

My point being that had I had this jacket in a smaller size it now would be too tight on me and I would not wear it.

Good choice on the Russet mulceber.
I had made a zipper pull out of a sample of the russet Liberty and it had a nice patina on it now.

Last edited:

B-Man2

No Burt I was told emphatically by all on here that it was too large for me and it was.
I kept because I liked it.
Now it does fit like a glove. But a size 40 fitting me like a glove is some significant shrinking and forming.

You are thinking of my BK victory hide aero.

My point being that had I had this jacket in a smaller size it now would be too tight on me and I would not wear it.

Good choice on the Russet mulceber.
I had made a zipper pull out of a sample of the russet Liberty and it had a nice patina on it now.
Oops my mistake.... sorry ..

Nickb123

I admit to skimming over your post but in my past experience owning an older BK 23380, I'd size up at least one, but probably too sizes.

mulceber

I admit to skimming over your post but in my past experience owning an older BK 23380, I'd size up at least one, but probably too sizes.

Heh, no worries - there were a LOT of numbers being thrown around in there. I'm not sure I'd want to read it either. ;)

Last edited: