• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

size 44 older elc irvin

John Lever

Don't want to give away my passwords it's too risky, and I bet you won't be covered if it goes wrong and you get defrauded.

m444uk

I've used Prospector Lite Free for years without problem

http://moxieproxy.com/

As well as using a server based bid it has a very good search engine.

Those who leave proxy bids on ebay are nuts. You run the danger of revealing your hand to bid retractors.
In the long run you will also end up paying more because of manual nibblers and people watching auctions by placing an incremental bid instead of using the watch button.

SuinBruin

I agree, sniping programs are indispensable for bidding on eBay. I've been using ezsniper.com and it's worked very well for me. No problems thus far.

(Also, even if the sniping program is hacked and your eBay password compromised, you still won't wind up paying for anything the hacker may bid on under your ID, at least so long as your eBay and PayPal passwords are different.)

m444uk

SuinBruin said:
I agree, sniping programs are indispensable for bidding on eBay. I've been using ezsniper.com and it's worked very well for me. No problems thus far.

(Also, even if the sniping program is hacked and your eBay password compromised, you still won't wind up paying for anything the hacker may bid on under your ID, at least so long as your eBay and PayPal passwords are different.)

They would also have to change your registered address. Ebay send out an automatic email to the old email address so that's not going to work, nor are you liable for the use of an unconfirmed new address.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
Because when you are not there at the end of the auction someone else just keeps upping the price until they pass your maximum. Yes I could have placed a maximum of $910, but with one minute to go someone else gets it for $911...

I still don't get it ... why you wouldn't bid your absolute maximum? Going to bed probably isn't the best tactic, and you may not win, but you wouldn't be saying "I would have paid that".

John Lever

deeb7 said:
John Lever said:
Because when you are not there at the end of the auction someone else just keeps upping the price until they pass your maximum. Yes I could have placed a maximum of $910, but with one minute to go someone else gets it for $911...

I still don't get it ... why you wouldn't bid your absolute maximum? Going to bed probably isn't the best tactic, and you may not win, but you wouldn't be saying "I would have paid that".
Who knows how high other bidders were prepared to go ?
I bid a few pounds less than the end price, but if I'd matched it then the price may have been driven higher yet.
You have to snipe or be there at the end. I knew I wouldn't win.

rich

Okay ... I give up. :?

One of the most confusing threads ever...?! :D

If I guess right David, you set a maximum price in your mind before bidding, and you stick to it. And John likes to play it by ear and will, within reason, push it a bit further as things develop.

I'm more surprised that John is still chasing ELC Irvins though - didn't the custom Aero scratch the itch John?

There'll be no more of the old Irvins at £300 though - the cat's well and truly out the bag......... :(

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
rich said:
If I guess right David, you set a maximum price in your mind before bidding, and you stick to it.

Sure, I work out the amount that I wouldn't pay, and back off a dollar. Surviving the sniping, and winning, can be just as satisfying.

Lignemaginot

Personally, I figure out what I'd be willing to pay, and then plug that into the snipe program and forget about it. Saves me from second-guessing my initial esimtate of value, or from other bidding it up to my maximum bid. If I end up not "winning" the item, I have no regrets because I made the decision on its value and others thought it was worth more.

That's actually one of the faults of ebay - the fact that there is no, "Going, going, gone" that allows the bidding to continue until there's truly no one else who wants to bid more. Fine with me, though, as buyer and seller.

SuinBruin

Lignemaginot said:
That's actually one of the faults of ebay - the fact that there is no, "Going, going, gone" that allows the bidding to continue until there's truly no one else who wants to bid more. Fine with me, though, as buyer and seller.
Manion's does it that way -- each bid made in the last 15 minutes extends the bidding by another 15 minutes. It's therefore more like a true "auction" in that sense. I find it kind of annoying as I'm used to the eBay system and sniping, but I can see how sellers might prefer it to the eBay method. (In my experience, though, items on Manion's seem to go for less than those on eBay.)

John Lever

rich said:
Okay ... I give up. :?

One of the most confusing threads ever...?! :D

If I guess right David, you set a maximum price in your mind before bidding, and you stick to it. And John likes to play it by ear and will, within reason, push it a bit further as things develop.

I'm more surprised that John is still chasing ELC Irvins though - didn't the custom Aero scratch the itch John?

There'll be no more of the old Irvins at £300 though - the cat's well and truly out the bag......... :(
Sorry David I don't mean to be confusing. I just know that if I bid £700 then went to bed someone else would bid £701 at the last minute.
The Aero almost does it, but there will never be a match for those early Eastmans.
I have to admit to engineering the market, sorry, I pushed up prices here and there to flush out the jackets.
Did a forum member win ?

John Lever

paddy1.jpg

paddy6.jpg

ausreenactor

So after all the talk about the manner in which some people play on eBay, we have our own Silver Surfer/1stpursuit pull the very jacket hyperlinked in this thread. It is the third of his items I have bid on of his this year, that have been pulled/ended early. Obviously got an offer, and doesn't like paying fees....Should ban posts in the Buy/Sell & eBay/Auction Talk sections for our own that do the wrong thing!! Suggest a name change to Shifty Seller!!

Couchy...

ausreenactor

Winner was inspectorgeneral who bought a BR B-9, RM L-2B Skyline of myself, a GW A-2, ELC Star Sportswear, BR L-2A Superior Togs green knit and plently more in the last month.. Fast payer and easy to deal with. Loves the jackets!

Couchy

Roughwear

Would that be Rick Mayall from the Young Ones or someone with the same name? The seller Coander is a Rick Mayall.