• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Simmons Bilt

Micawber

A re-run of The Prisoner would be great
Or, perhaps the best film ever made IMO "The Cheviot, The Stag and The Black, Black Oil. BBC1974

I am not a number..... etc etc. "The Prisoner" was aired again on one of the obscure channels not too long ago. My son asked what the hell it was about! I mean really:rolleyes:

The Cheviot, The Stag and The Black, Black Oil is not ringing any bells so I will check it out.

robrinay

You can get ‘The Prisoner’ on DVD (I’ve got a copy), and BBC radio recently aired a new radio version. If you missed it BBC usually put their plays out as audiobooks after a few repeats.

JonnyOldBoy

Interesting thread .... Are Simmons Bilt and Aero Leathers still trading ? Enquired with both via emails and social media and no responses and looking at their websites, lots of obsolete links, dead links and very old news etc etc ... Can anyone shed any light on them both ? Also is there anywhere else in the UK that puts together jackets of the same quality ? cheers Jon

ausreenactor

Interesting thread .... Are Simmons Bilt and Aero Leathers still trading ? Enquired with both via emails and social media and no responses and looking at their websites, lots of obsolete links, dead links and very old news etc etc ... Can anyone shed any light on them both ? Also is there anywhere else in the UK that puts together jackets of the same quality ? cheers Jon
Redsox78?

Southoftheborder

Aero is still going, and as far as I know so is SB though unlike Aero I haven't been in touch with them for a little bit. Phone is better, they are both busy so emails can get missed. Don't know about the evil Facebook as I don't use it but nothing gets updated on either company website very often.

JonnyOldBoy

Aero is still going, and as far as I know so is SB though unlike Aero I haven't been in touch with them for a little bit. Phone is better, they are both busy so emails can get missed. Don't know about the evil Facebook as I don't use it but nothing gets updated on either company website very often.
Thanks appreciate the advice , Aero just got back to me so I have food for thought now .. I have a mid length 1990s River Island jacket in a box/reefer/chore style , not sure of exact description. The leather is amazing quality compared to the rubbish from many lower end multiples these days but the other structures of the jacket are slowing failing so looking to replace ... I like the leather thickness , feel , distressed finish and there are a couple on the Aero site that look close enough , just a bit bothered about the narrow buttoned cuffs .... not sure I would get on with that .... here is my beloved R.I. classic ..... so people know what I am on about ...

Attachments

• DSC_0729.JPG
    8.5 MB · Views: 167

Southoftheborder

Either company will make you a jacket that is light years better than River Island. Try the sale pages on Aero and the Outlet pages on SB for ready made jackets that can be sent the same day.

JonnyOldBoy

Thanks ,,, will do.
River Island may make crap these days, but this jacket was a different league. Its not in the same bracket as the Aero/SB as you say but its a lot better than the very average jacket I got from Hidepark a couple of years back ... Funnily enough adjusting for inflation my R.I. jacket cost about the same as the Hidepark one but are lightyears apart in quality. A buddy of mine bought an Aero jacket about three years ago and I saw it for the first time last week ... the quality was obvious. Stunning jacket. I appreciate the advice on here , very helpful ....

johnwayne

For an RI jacket must say that does look pretty cool but then its clearly ‘time worn’ as a certain repro maker we know calls it but yours really is and nothing the repro boys can do artificially gets that close, just basically taking the edge off a new finish. Sure Aero can come up trumps for you - they often have sale and used jackets but, they’ll be a bit pricier than the mid 90’s!!

JonnyOldBoy

For an RI jacket must say that does look pretty cool but then its clearly ‘time worn’ as a certain repro maker we know calls it but yours really is and nothing the repro boys can do artificially gets that close, just basically taking the edge off a new finish. Sure Aero can come up trumps for you - they often have sale and used jackets but, they’ll be a bit pricier than the mid 90’s!!
LOL ... yeh just a bit , but I was just out of Uni in the mid 90s so did not have the readies to lay down on a made-to-order ... To be honest , the finish is something I will enjoy getting towards. I realise that the distressing comes with use , so I guess I just have to pick the best leather base product to achieve that .... I am going to have a detailed look at the Aero offering this evening , 14 week lead time I have just been advised , but I am in no hurry .... I have a Thai seamstress a couple of miles away who is patching up the lining of the R.I. jacket every now and then , so it will last the 14 weeks ... LOL ....