• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your most worn and well broken in jackets...…………( please..... we are all dying of CV boredom here)

P-47 thunderbolt

This is a rare bird , a strange duck , or a flash out of the past . Pick one! From what little I think I know about this jacket, this is a tribute jacket, to the American Volunteer Group , that was made by Aero Leather a number of years ago .Now that’s what I’ve heard that it is , so Ken if you’re out there feel free to jump in here.
It’s an A2 Aero 42-15142-P , with an “Aces” red silk lining with a nice mouton collar. According to the story the Army flyers of the AVG had A2 jackets , while the Navy and Marines had M-422s. The Army flyers liked the mouton collars of the 422s so they had them put onto their A2 jackets . This could be a pure fantasy story about this jacket so I hope Ken will come along and give us the real story. Here’s the jacket:

Take a look at this A2 with added collar, from historic flying clothing website. A Perry Sportswear.
usaaf-flying-jackets-ww2_1098_main_size2.jpg

ausreenactor

any "normal" person would find this thread so bizarre! People posting their worn out clothes..................and others saying how cool the clothes look!

some great looking jackets here, congrats all!!!!!!!!

"Rate my Shit Jacket" would lead you to pics on Google you don't want to see...

B-Man2

Original Dubow size 44, funny how one side smooth and other nice grain, sleeves are the same too, smooth on the outside and nice grain on the inside.
Hi Fighter Jock.
Great looking jacket . Do you have any pictures wearing it? We enjoy seeing “Fit Pixs”
One of the reasons the jacket has smooth sections and grainy sections is that during the war the hides were mismatched and were sewn together without regard to smooth or grainy sections. The idea was was simply to put them together and get them out to the troops.
Cheers

fighterjock

Hi Fighter Jock.
Great looking jacket . Do you have any pictures wearing it? We enjoy seeing “Fit Pixs”
One of the reasons the jacket has smooth sections and grainy sections is that during the war the hides were mismatched and were sewn together without regard to smooth or grainy sections. The idea was was simply to put them together and get them out to the troops.
Cheers
Yeah, you know I think I've read that Dubow was notorious about having smooth and grainy panels. It funny because the right side has absolutely no graining and the zipper side is awesome and really tells the story on the age of the jacket!! It was my very first real A-2 purchase in 2003, it took me almost 3 or 4 years to finally win a bid on a good sound jacket. My criteria was it had to be a 42 or 44, no holes or rips, hardware had to be original...…………..the original knits were shot to pieces.

fighterjock

That’s an awesome DuBow ...
Great period patch as well .
Thanks for posting that ..
Cheers
I found the Commanches patch in Reno approx. 2004, It had an old look to it, and the stitching looked old as well, and along with that collection was also a "Skulls" patch the 85th squadron it was either chenille or wool, and I think their also was a skeeters the 87th patch I think either wool or chenille. I bought the leather 86th Commanches patch. You know I've never seen another like it, on the internet, books, or even ebay……………….it may be an original or maybe a reunion patch right after the War I have no idea...……….but it looks old it and had a person's name on the backside and the squadron in ink. When I bought the patch I knew nothing of the 79th fighter group or that all three of those patches were in the same fighter group! Attached is a scan of patch I took it 2004 before I had patch put on, the name on the back was Henry Steele

Attachments

• HPIM1588.JPG
    HPIM1588.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 148

fighterjock

Oh man ... love than Irvin!! And from what I can see it’s a big boy size as well . Sweet!!
No, it's not huge I'm guessing between 40 and 42, the tag you see is a repop, I never had an original tag, and I am not well versed in my Irvin, not as much as that School teacher Andrew in England. All I know is that is early because of the panels, all hardware original, and is in surprisingly good shape, I think the Brits leather processing was better than ours, as most of our shearlings are pretty unstable...……………..really a crap shoot buying shearling, you never know what your gonna get...…..sounds like a Forest Gump movie line!!