• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Eastman A1s, A2’s, B-3s, B-6s, D-1s. Irvin’s. B-10s, B-15s, and Buzz Ricksons’ etc.

Chandler

Okay, FWIW (probably only mine and your precious time ;) ):

My 3 ELCs (2 RWs and a Star) all have 2" cuff knits. And yeah, I suppose these would be considered "older" stock.

My GW has 2.25" knits, and my 2 FS jackets have 2.25 and 2.5" knits. The 2.25 example had the sleeves shortened, so something could be amiss there.

So, does ELC make their cuffs longer these days? Is there any specifically clear authentic knit length? Or do they vary like most components on original A-2s?

B-Man2

Okay, FWIW (probably only mine and your precious time ;) ):

My 3 ELCs (2 RWs and a Star) all have 2" cuff knits. And yeah, I suppose these would be considered "older" stock.

My GW has 2.25" knits, and my 2 FS jackets have 2.25 and 2.5" knits. The 2.25 example had the sleeves shortened, so something could be amiss there.

So, does ELC make their cuffs longer these days? Is there any specifically clear authentic knit length? Or do they vary like most components on original A-2s?
LOL ! :D
Looks like we have a Sherlock Holmes mystery before us . I just checked Gary Eastman’s A2 Manual ... doesn’t have anything about the length of knits . I checked my ELC jackets and the Werber 1729 knits are 2 and 1/4 inches
And the RW is the shorter 2 inch version . Give me a bit and I’ll dig out a couple of originals and measure their knits . Between the two of us we’ll solve this dastardly mystery ;).

Chandler

LOL ! :D
Looks like we have a Sherlock Holmes mystery...
Well, I honestly prefer Philip Marlowe, but whatever grabs your reading favor. ;)

I checked Acme Depot too, but Marc doesn't mention any dimensions for knits.

How about a random sampling of your originals? If it's too strenuous, you could send them my way and I'll document the measurements for everyone. :)

B-Man2

Well, I honestly prefer Philip Marlowe, but whatever grabs your reading favor. ;)

I checked Acme Depot too, but Marc doesn't mention any dimensions for knits.

How about a random sampling of your originals? If it's too strenuous, you could send them my way and I'll document the measurements for everyone. :)
LOL:D
My old eyes aren’t what they used to be and I have a tough time seeing the numbers and ticks on a tape measure ...........Ya know ....I might just do that ;)

ausreenactor

My ELC Star from the early 2000s. No real history for this jacket; purchased off eBay. Can't recall why the seller was letting it go. It was custom ordered with olive stitching, not the usual red used by ELC. Not sure what the hide is -- has some interesting pebbling in spots, but it's not goat.

It has a soft, almost spongy feel to it -- almost like chrome-tanned, but you can see from the wear and scratches that there is none of that telltale dark or blueish color from chrome tanning showing through.

Size 44, but fits me well -- better than other 44s from repro makers, but the sleeves are a little long.
9gklTmh.jpg

Having trouble finding time to get shots of the other two, but I'll get to them.
Very interesting. Not sure why the seller didn't go with a 27752? That stitching was a nice feature of the Star ELC.

Have had two over the years. Neither were as nice as yours!

ausreenactor

How so? Someone posted pics of one recently that looks quite nice.

I only wish my hide would show a little more of that color variations through wear.
Mine were really early ones. Last one was 2008 from memory. Pics will be here somewhere...

Chandler

So, here's my first high end repro. Only one I bought directly from ELC via HPA.

It's from the mid- to late-90s (@ausreenactor), though I have no records to pinpoint the exact sale anymore.

RW 1401 that's sort of custom with 46 shoulders, but tapered to a 44 waist. I still wear it often and will probably be handed down to someone on judgment day.

Of note is that this jacket was very smooth when new and the years have created some great graining -- especially on the left (wearer's) shoulder. Probably from seat belt harness.

3BDAsLD.jpg

Might appear a little too red because of my mobile camera -- it's probably more caramel. Oh, and more short cuffs @B-Man2 ;)

Oh, and someone had mentioned horsehide sleeves wrinkling up -- not much of that going on with a quarter century-old example here. It's not quite Lost Worlds bullet proof, but close.

Last edited:

B-Man2

So, here's my first high end repro. Only one I bought directly from ELC via HPA.

It's from the mid- to late-90s (@ausreenactor), though I have no records to pinpoint the exact sale anymore.

RW 1401 that's sort of custom with 46 shoulders, but tapered to a 44 waist. I still wear it often and will probably be handed down to someone on judgment day.
3BDAsLD.jpg

Might appear a little too red because of my mobile camera -- it's probably more caramel. Oh, and more short cuffs @B-Man2 ;)
I’ve come to the conclusion that you and I have to stop talking about short cuffs . We think we’re dating the jackets but in reality we’re just dating ourselves :D;)

Shropshire-lad

Ok - up for viewing is my REALLY old Eastman A2 I’ve had for years..... realined and recuffed twice.....internal pockets added last time. Got it signed, whilst I volunteered at DX for TFC, by Bud Anderson, Pete Peterson and Wayne Coleman. Patch by/via Eastman... again - years ago..... and worn at work in the hangar. Whistle I got at a small car mechanics workshop along with an oxygen clip, that was used as their fire alarm and clip board clip! (Very original as ‘next door’ to Nuthampstead Airfield. Hope you like?!
B857FEB3-BBE7-430D-BF10-3EA451DDF20E.jpeg
31F0C3C1-F9E2-4C83-AC20-798E75AB5C0F.jpeg
86252741-5381-42D1-9D32-C502D02BF354.jpeg
3F80C287-1C7F-46AB-8E54-A014AAA49429.jpeg
98EA6396-53C5-4947-BC99-650139408568.jpeg

Shropshire-lad

Really nice used one!
Thank you - Yes - it was used very regularly but I retired early from full time work and now live in Shropshire so had to say goodbye to DX after 35 years enjoyment.... TFC is a great organisation made better by the lads that work there - full time AND volunteers. I miss it.

Micawber

Ok - up for viewing is my REALLY old Eastman A2 I’ve had for years..... realined and recuffed twice.....internal pockets added last time. Got it signed, whilst I volunteered at DX for TFC, by Bud Anderson, Pete Peterson and Wayne Coleman. Patch by/via Eastman... again - years ago..... and worn at work in the hangar. Whistle I got at a small car mechanics workshop along with an oxygen clip, that was used as their fire alarm and clip board clip! (Very original as ‘next door’ to Nuthampstead Airfield. Hope you like?!View attachment 54686View attachment 54687View attachment 54688View attachment 54689View attachment 54685

Now that's some got some character.

PS Very familiar with both DX and Nuthampstead too as used to live over that way.