• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your “Vintage” Good Wear Jackets.

B-Man2

Hey guys .... Unlike most of you who have work, a family or something daily going on in your lives, I’m retired and don’t have a life ;). Covid 19 has exacerbated this situation for me. So I get a lot of enjoyment out of reading the forum and checking out what you guys are doing and where you’re traveling and what jackets you’re wearing . But things have gotten a little slow here lately, so I thought I’d try a thread that might generate some interest . Now , I picked Good Wear jackets to start out with, but could have just as easily picked Vintage Aeros, Vintage ELCs or one of several other makers, and in fact would encourage some of you to do the same and start a thread on those makers . The only stipulation is, let’s see some of the early Aeros and ELCs that are now broken in and have been ridden hard .
Now not too long ago, I listed a jacket that I was sure was a GW A2 only to received a kindly email from JC explaining that the jacket I had listed and photographed on the forum, was not his jacket. Aghhh! Embarrassed much!! Yep , sure was, but John being the consummate gentleman he is, was kind and forgave me for my oversight. So once again I’m venturing into a potential mine field here assuming that the jackets I’m listing are all examples of his earlier production models from 10 or so years ago. ( if I screw up again John and your reading this, I apologize in advance);). Please all of you post some of your Vintage good wears here , and if you don’t own a GW , then start a thread on whatever you own and have worn for a number of years. Just post your thread by the maker so other guys will know wear to post photos of their jackets as well. Thanks in advance for your responses. ( God I hope this isn’t an Eastman:rolleyes:)
First off
An early Good Wear, Horsehide Rough Wear with early ribbed knits and cuffs. I purchased this jacket second hand about 10 years ago and it’s a nicely made lightweight Russet Horsehide, that has the classic drape we all talk about and look for in a repro A2 . The surface finish has grained from a lot of wear and the jacket looks like an original .
A1C2666F-6474-47E1-8FBD-15CDF5368576.jpeg
8390D97F-480A-4F78-8718-7BD2F03F1038.jpeg
83E1972B-FB88-4A3C-8E29-EEB480FD0765.jpeg
7E41FFDC-372E-42A1-B9C0-3778E6C003F8.jpeg
38612B2B-13B5-44BC-950A-9721E7213722.jpeg
5447B209-1E30-4A4A-BF34-0F6C7C508FE6.jpeg
E0604800-2231-4C18-B677-4FD270C2B8D3.jpeg
9C77628A-4B23-42D6-8372-A4176D91245A.jpeg
4DF6FF1D-3FDE-49DF-A0A8-670F98669B83.jpeg
E8D3C6A7-9FE0-4F24-9639-50BC88F25853.jpeg

Last edited:

mulceber

Gorgeous jacket, Burt. I love the variation in texture, especially on the right upper chest. It’s interesting that these early knits look a bit more like Eastman’s, at least to my eye.

mulceber

Pretty sure it's not an ELC - that jacket has a Talon M-41 (triple-marked). Eastman doesn't use that zipper.

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

uhhhhh, guys, early on etc did indeed use talons on their rw 1401-p repros. yes, the truth is stranger then fiction. dunno if the the jacket in the pix is an elc or gw. chappy will do an id for ya if its one of his.

mulceber

Yeah, but my point is that when Eastman uses Bell Talons, they use the M-42. The one on Burt’s jacket is an M-41 or M-39. Unless they offered those in the past (which is possible), this isn’t an Eastman.

Last edited:

B-Man2

First off let me say that JC, being the gentleman he has always been, was kind enough to contact me and to provide some background on this jacket and to confirm that this is one of his Jackets . This is in fact his original, 1st Rough Wear 1401 P jacket that he made in 2009. He also provided a link to the original listing . Needless to say I couldn’t be more pleased and at the same time humbled, to know that I’m fortunate in owning a jacket that helped to start John on the road to success in his establishment of the Good Wear Brand .
Thank you John

https://goodwearleather.com/1401P_First/

Last edited:

stanier

Yeah, but my point is that when Eastman uses Bell Talons, they use the M-42. The one on Burt’s jacket is an M-41 or M-39. Unless they offered those in the past (which is possible), this isn’t an Eastman.
That's certainly the case now, but wasn't through the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. Doesn't mean the jacket is conclusively an ELC, but neither should the zip be the deciding factor, imho.

EDIT - Sorry, I've just re read properly and caught the post confirming its a GW. However, i think the point about the zip remains. Cheers