• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your “Vintage” Good Wear Jackets.

Dom

Hi Burt,
I wanted to post them earlier, but wanted to run out to the airport and get a different back drop than the table! it fits good when I stay around 200-210, but since the Airline has us working from home I added another 12 lbs so I am gonna need to drop some to take advantage of the fall weather coming. Compared to my ELC 48, its just a tad smaller.

B-Man2

Hi Burt,
I wanted to post them earlier, but wanted to run out to the airport and get a different back drop than the table! it fits good when I stay around 200-210, but since the Airline has us working from home I added another 12 lbs so I am gonna need to drop some to take advantage of the fall weather coming. Compared to my ELC 48, its just a tad smaller.
Oh Dom :rolleyes:
I’m afraid I’m in that CV 19 Beefy Boy Club as well. The stay at home mentality has me sitting wayyy to close to the fridge.:oops:
Cheers

scwells

The Chinese government purchased $250,000 worth of US Navy flying gear, including jackets, gloves, goggles, flight suits etc. for the AVG. The gear was not issued until the AVG arrived in China. Upon arriving in Burma, they wore whatever was available. USN pilots serving in the South Pacific often wore the CBI patch, as shown in this image of aviators of VF-11 Sun Downers aboard USS Hornet in 1944.
VF-11Cake.jpg

ausreenactor

The Chinese government purchased $250,000 worth of US Navy flying gear, including jackets, gloves, goggles, flight suits etc. for the AVG. The gear was not issued until the AVG arrived in China. Upon arriving in Burma, they wore whatever was available. USN pilots serving in the South Pacific often wore the CBI patch, as shown in this image of aviators of VF-11 Sun Downers aboard USS Hornet in 1944.View attachment 43749
Left sleeve is allocated to your current unit generally. The right sleeve for previous combat unit/last unit.. Would be unusual for a mid-war right sleeve patch on a pre war jacket...

Maverickson

The Chinese government purchased $250,000 worth of US Navy flying gear, including jackets, gloves, goggles, flight suits etc. for the AVG. The gear was not issued until the AVG arrived in China. Upon arriving in Burma, they wore whatever was available. USN pilots serving in the South Pacific often wore the CBI patch, as shown in this image of aviators of VF-11 Sun Downers aboard USS Hornet in 1944.View attachment 43749

Along with my recently acquired Switlik M-422 I also received the original July 2, 1941 USN invoice retailing the cost for each individual for all flight gear issued to the freshly graduating class of 1941 member.To include the jacket its self. That cost totaled $158.68 for all flight gear. To include all jackets. flight suits, gloves etc. for both Winter and Summer. Thus telling me that that $250,000 AVG spent went a long way.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

B-Man2

Along with my recently acquired Switlik M-422 I also received the original July 2, 1941 USN invoice retailing the cost for each individual for all flight gear issued to the freshly graduating class of 1941 member.To include the jacket its self. That cost totaled $158.68 for all flight gear. To include all jackets. flight suits, gloves etc. for both Winter and Summer. Thus telling me that that $250,000 AVG spent went a long way.

Cheers, Dave
Spot on Dave
With the average price of an A2 jacket at around $7.50 to $8.25 each and probably a comparable price for an M-422 or 422a , there’s a lot of money left for helmets , suits gloves and the rest of the flight kit . I’m sure there may have been some other purchases as well such as survival gear, i.e. parachutes , side arms, boots etc . Wouldn’t it be great to find some invoices for those purchases?

mulceber

The pics in this post are only an IMG #.

I've seen this happen before - I think Piloto tried to hit "edit" in the post over in the Eastman thread, copy everything from there, and past it all into this thread. Unfortunately, the photos have to be manually entered all over again in order to appear.

Chandler

I’m sure there may have been some other purchases as well such as survival gear, i.e. parachutes , side arms, boots etc . Wouldn’t it be great to find some invoices for those purchases?
There were some Navy sheepskin jackets in the mix, too. I can't recall exactly which model.

Smithy

I fired you off a "like" in the other thread where you got shot down for posting it, but I'll readily give you another one as it's a terrific jacket. The wear and patina is just beautiful, looks like an original and that's the best praise I imagine. Keep on wearing it!

Saying that it's better suited in this thread ;-)

mulceber

Who did that? Wow...

That would be @Chandler and I, although I think "shot down" is putting it a bit strongly. ;) It was posted in the Eastman/BR thread, Chandler pointed out it didn't fit the title, I agreed and advocated for posting it in this thread. Maybe a bit pushy on my part, but regardless of where it is, I'm glad you posted it, @Pilotomutante.

Last edited: