• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shoulder patch/ decal options

Flightengineer

In any case, you do this only for yourself.
The absolute majority of those around (except for a narrow circle of people interested in the history of aviation and WW2 history) do not understand this symbolism, its accuracy or inaccuracy.
I once got into funny situation in Holland, when for example this 5th AF patch on my A2 was mistaken for a Russian Sputnik :) and double funny was that a person who decided that this is sattelite Sputnik with Russian red star was an elderly former Holland Air Force pilot, who flew the C-47.
For most people it's just a leather jacket with a number 5 on the sleeve.

Last edited:

Brettafett

I've seen a couple of pics of the 8th AF felt patch on an original A-2... I'm sure Rob can suggest a source. I personally prefer that to a painted or layered one.
Agree with @stanier, that most of the layered leathered patches I've seen were CBI, but that doesn't mean they can't be found on European theatre jackets.
Of course you can take a patch off, but the stitch holes to me are worse than having a patch you regretting putting on in the first place... Especially on a £1000+ jacket...
I like the idea of getting the patches you like and then playing with them: Putting them on your jacket loose and taking pics, or using doubled sided tape and 'feeling' it... Go slow.
If you don't use em, you can still display them... or something.

I know I sound like a broken record, but this is where a second jacket comes in handy. You can patch it, paint it and not lose sleep that you have 'ruined' your Star. Wear the patched/painted jacket when the mood strikes... But the 'clean' Star could be the day-to-day wearer.

p.s. Sean Collins makes darn good stuff. Can't go wrong there. Recommended for painted leather work.

Greg Gale

Yeah, I guess you guys are right, thank you for talking me out of it :) I already have a cheap 30 yr old Avirex that's already patched and painted. I definitely don't need a 3rd A-2, though. I'll just patch and stencil the hell out of everything else (Mechanics' cap, Kit bag, etc....)

B-Man2

I had a Cooper a few years ago that I made into a paratrooper A2. Ties painted a beautiful 507th PIR patch for me and once the jacket was put together with the patch it looked great. Perfect balance , not too much or too little in artwork. I wore the jacket whenever I had a chance, The only comment I ever received was from a WWII vet from the 101st airborne who told me the 82nd was “a bunch of pansy’s ( a flowering plant). He smiled and walked away . For those who may not know, the 507th Parachute Infantry Regiment was part of the 82nd Airborne Division.

Last edited: