• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I pull the trigger on this Irvin?

Spitfireace

This is now my Irvin from 1944 most likely devon fleece. A small size. maybe even too small for me as I'm a 38 short, but a nice condition jacket. Leather is great, and fleece is good especially inside the jacket. Had to have the belt added by Aero Leather in Scotland, as it was missing. As well as the collar strap, but other than that.. the main zip. Sleeve zips are AM Lightnings original. Treated it with Fiebings as it is a little dry even though described as "supple". Very nice jacket over all. Thinking of cleaning the collar fleece as it makes my nose twitch.

Attachments

• 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 323
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 313
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 315

Spitfireace

Does it fit?
Yes, it fits fine. I wouldn't be able to get battledress under it though as they did. It fits with a regular shirt under it. I don't think I would move up to a bigger size though, as the sleeves would probably be too long. I'll work on getting a fit pic.

Steve27752

Yes, it fits fine. I wouldn't be able to get battledress under it though as they did. It fits with a regular shirt under it. I don't think I would move up to a bigger size though, as the sleeves would probably be too long. I'll work on getting a fit pic.
Get the next size up and shorten the arms.

Spitfireace

Never would "shorten the arms" on an original jacket. Out of the question I would think. I think it's a 3 size. Or might even be a 2 but I don't know the specs. for these jackets maybe someone here does.?/

asiamiles

That was certainly a good price you picked that up for! Looking at the measurements on the auction listing it would seem to be a size down on mine, which measures Chest = 21"/Shoulders = 19"/Length = 23"/Sleeve 22½".

2l07qd0.jpg

Spitfireace

Some replica cost more in the same condition.
After restoration the cost is about what an Aero repro costs, but a fair amount less than an Eastman. Less than half the cost though of Eastman's Devon fleece copy which is their most expensive. There's nothing like the real thing though. These jackets have a limited use whether original or repro as some here have said. I've been on a few walks around the neighborhood with it, but I can't really see wearing it out about town. It's something I've wanted since I was a kid though as they are probably the most iconic flight jacket, particularly if you live in a Commonwealth country.