• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I Keep This Jacket ?

442RCT

A couple weeks ago, I bid and won what the seller described as:
W.W.II STAR A-2 HORSEHIDE FLIGHT FLYING JACKET 40
EARLY EASTMAN REPRODUCTION WITH GREAT LOOK

This is a great looking example of an earlier Eastman reproduction of a Star contract W.W.II A-2 flight jacket in a size 40. Since I wasn’t sure, John Chapman verified that this is an Eastman. To quote from J. Chapman’s C. D. on flight jackets regarding the earlier Eastman’s: “ the leather used is quite good, looking like many original jackets and having veg tanned qualities (scuffs easy and shows wear). The overall cut is quite accurate to Star jackets…especially the collar and pocket design.”

The measurements given looked right and I received the jacket today and was rather disappointed in the condition of the jacket. What he'd described as, "Both cuffs have wear (see pictures). These could be darned or replaced if desired." To his credit, he did post the accurate pics of the cuffs, and while the right cuff was as described, the left cuff was totally trashed. I didn't scroll down far enough and just looked at the top photo, that was my bad.

The other area of damage was, "The reddish brown lining has the usual neck wear areas. Other than that it’s in excellent shape.". Personally, I wouldn't call this usual neck wear, at least not on a jacket that's not 50 years old. The lining around the neck is completely 'worn' through to the leather.

Much of the 'wear' patterns, interior and exterior, appear to be from someone attempting to artificially age the the jacket, perhaps to pass it off as a WW2 jacket. This seller did not advertise it as other than what it was, an ELC Star repro. The waistband knits compared to the wrist cuffs is pristine, the lining of the rest of the jacket, compared to the wear around the neck is unworn looking, that's why the wear seems to be artificial. The person doing the aging got carried away with the sandpaper around the neck area.

The exterior of the jacket looks like it was aged with a combination of sandpapering, dragging along concrete or rocky surface, beat on with a tree branch, etc., actually, that's one of the reasons that I found the jacket attractive, it had that 100 mission look. So the exterior leather surface of the jacket isn't my complaint.

Since the seller's photos accurately depicted the jacket and there was no intentional misleading on his part, should I keep the jacket and make it a project jacket. The lining around the neck needs to be repaired somehow, otherwise, it'll just keep ripping. The left cuff needs to be replaced, which means the right cuff and waistband need to be replaced to match. This will bring the actual cost of the jacket up another $ 100+. The seller advertised a 7 day return with his listing, and looking at the bidding, it looks like he could offer it as a second chance offer to the second highest bidder. I know for $ 450 I can get another HH jacket in the future in better shape than this one. (I missed out on an Aero HH which looked fantastic, at the same time I was bidding on this jacket.) I'd also bid on and won another Sefton, which will be a known project jacket by default, the seller said it would be and included a set of wrist cuffs and waistband as part of the sale. Since I really like Sefton A-2s , and if it fits as well as my first Sefton, I factored the cost of replacing the knits when I bid on this jacket.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

better duck

Well, If I look at the photos of the auction again, now knowing what you received, I can only say, that the photos give a true eh - picture - of the state of wear of the jacket. You can hardly fault the seller, I would think.
Having said that, all that really counts is your own feeling towards this jacket. By the 'sound' of it, reading what you wrote, this jacket will always be the one that fell short of your expectations. For me that would be a reason for getting rid of such a disappointing thing, be it a jacket or whatever.

watchmanjimg

There's no accounting for the abuse that some owners can inflict on their A-2s, even in a relatively short time. However, I agree with Better Duck that your satisfaction with the jacket is all that matters. Given what you paid for this one I'd say that if you don't think you'll be happy with it now's the time to walk away. By way of comparison, just this past summer I sold a near mint size 42 ELC Star for $415 including shipping. If you repair the knits and lining on your jacket you'd likely exceed that rather easily.

With its patina this could be a beautiful jacket, but I think you'll be happier if you keep looking.

442RCT

watchmanjimg said:
By way of comparison, just this past summer I sold a near mint size 42 ELC Star for $415 including shipping. If you repair the knits and lining on your jacket you'd likely exceed that rather easily.

With its patina this could be a beautiful jacket, but I think you'll be happier if you keep looking.

This is the Aero A-2 I was outbid on. As you can see it had great patina and very minty.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEDWX:IT

The Sefton was relatively inexpensive (probably because of the Blood Chit sewn on the back and the knits).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

After thinking it over, I've asked the seller to accept return of the jacket and offered $ 30 to re-list the jacket.

watchmanjimg

My point exactly. That Aero would probably have been perfect for you. There's more where that came from . . . :D

havocpaul

If I may play devil's advocate and see it from the seller's point of view, I feel he described and especially photographed the jacket with accuracy, had I sold it I wouldn't be too happy having it returned (although he does accept returns, many don't, including myself, unless the listing description is incorrect); second-chance offers seldom work in my opinion. I did see the jacket when it was active on eBay and was put off because of the collar wear and cuffs, I couldn't have justified the extra cost of repairs the need for which were apparent from the pics.

gomez

I have to agree with everyone that this was a fair transaction and the seller owes you nothing. Since you are having buyers remorse and the seller does accept returns, why not contact him and be totally honest. You could admit to him you overestimated it's condition and you won't be happy keeping it. Then bite the bullet and offer him a sizable restocking fee for his trouble. That could be easier and more cost effective than trying to sell it yourself.

442RCT

I agree with all of you. I have contacted him and will negotiate with him in regards to returning the jacket. This will be the first jacket I've ever returned from an eBay purchase, I've never reneged on a seller and if I didn't feel bad about doing so, wouldn't have posted asking for opinions. Many of you have been sellers put into this unfortunate position, I've yet to sell one item on eBay, so don't have the perspective of a seller.

Recently I purchased a horse hide Avirex A-2 that was listed as a sz 42. I wear a size 42 in a Cooper A-2, and my last Avirex steerhide A-2 sz 40 was a bit snug, so I thought upsizing one size would be a close enough fit. I bid and won. When the jacket arrived, it was 1 1/2 sizes too big, I would have been okay with a jacket that was 1/2 size too big, but not tent big. The seller plainly stated in her listing there was no returns unless misrepresented. It wasn't misrepresented and I still have it. I have several other jackets that weren't what I expected (I received one that had been dyed green), but I still have them because there was no return stated in the listing. For me, the difference is structurally this jacket is unwearable without major reconstruction, the others didn't need costly repairs, I just didn't like what I received. If this seller had stated upfront a NO RETURN policy, I would have honored the contractual agreement and bitten the bullet. :x