• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should i bother restoring ?

stanier

Personally I think adding a name tag is the worst cheesy naff thing that can be done to an A-2, especially if it says V. Hilts, but each to their own.

Now if you were adding a Crown zip....and yes I know an ELC of this age my have a WWII Talon, but sell that separately...

I think your A-2 when properly restored will be worth more than £300. With that much patina and otherwise as new and with a new one however much ELC is charging today, I think £300 is conservative.

mulceber

Yeah, I'm with Stanier on the name tag. It's one thing if you're dealing with a vintage jacket and the name tag is original to it, but I wouldn't put it on a repro.

Officer Dibley

Personally I think adding a name tag is the worst cheesy naff thing that can be done to an A-2, especially if it says V. Hilts, but each to their own.

Now if you were adding a Crown zip....and yes I know an ELC of this age my have a WWII Talon, but sell that separately...

I think your A-2 when properly restored will be worth more than £300. With that much patina and otherwise as new and with a new one however much ELC is charging today, I think £300 is conservative.

Fear not, Hiltz is not in my plan. Hadn’t realised name tags were such a Marmite issue.

I think this jacket has a period Talon zipper. Did ELC do that as an option ? I think they did.....

I could see this being a keeper, it’s beaten up, has beautiful grain and fits ok. Other than a russet goat ELC or GW, i can think of no jacket i’d rather muck about in.

I’ve sent it off and Rob said it’ll be quickly done. I’ll report on the work when i get it back.

Dave

bn1966

I had a HH ELC A-2 that came up a bit small on me but was worn to death by me, took it back to ELC for a reline & knit replacement, wore it to death some more, decided I really needed to go up a size & sold it for £500.00 (had a period Talon). Nearly purchased a House Goat hide A-2 from ELC a while back..ended up with an A-1 :)

Officer Dibley

£300 for a lining & all new knits. I think i mentioned this in a previous thread.Must be a quiet spell or they reward owners wanting to sustain their jackets with high priority. Not sure Burt
Dave

Smithy

Jeez that's quick.

It's such good looking leather so it's nice to hear the old girl is being tarted up.

I forgot to say earlier that the leather actually reminds me of an original 1940s private purchase A-2 that Mike1973 has which is goat. It is some of the best looking leather you'll ever see and is the perfect example to show people who think that goat can't develop patina. I think I've got some photos tucked away of it so I'll try and dig them out for you.

Smithy

Found them...

jacket.jpg

rightpocketshut.jpg

epaulette.jpg

CivvieA2038.jpg

leftpocket.jpg

rightpocketopen.jpg