• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should i bother restoring ?

Officer Dibley

I have this old ELC house goat. Taken in trade with other kit.
Was re-lined in black nylon (yuk). Some of the stitching (pockets) has dried and given up.
I could throw it away....... i could get ELC to re-line, re-stitch & replace all the knits - for£315. I could add the shoulder decal and a name tag.
It looks a lot like a £100 Cooper so thoughts on whether or not i should bother would be appreciated. If it were russet it would be a no-brainer to get it repaired
6A38DFF8-8A23-4FF6-B38C-B80C477A85AC.jpeg
7E0FE954-1CE8-4DB4-8A38-31887C8E8E16.jpeg
AB8852A2-C636-4641-836C-EC01CD7DEF71.jpeg
2FA98338-9FED-4E31-8747-9056EDFB402E.jpeg

Last edited:

Smithy

Yeah I wouldn't biff that out and especially if it fits. The leather looks lovely. I'd pick up some new knits from Larry, get in touch with Donna from Horizon Designs to get her to do a reline and replace the knits (or Aero for that matter, whoever is cheaper).

Otherwise flog it off to Mikey!

CBI

It looks good. if it fits, IMO, purchase knits online eBay, you can find nice ones (wrist and waistband) for about $30. Have a local person replace those. Don't bother replacing the lining, no one who cares will even see it. just wear it.

johnwayne

Why do think it's an ELC and how old do think it might be? I'm sure others here will put me right but certainly in its infancy Gary Eastman only offered cow/steer hide on his A2's and even more recently I can't recall ELC offering goat as an option! Nonetheless the shell looks good and if it fits then only you know if you want to keep/wear it and if the cost of a restoration is worth it. Bison Leather have mixed reviews for their work but check them out, think they have a price menu on their web site and ELC do actually refer you on to them, well they did me when I enquired about a reline!!

Officer Dibley

JW, ELC used to do a house goat in seal and a Cable in russet ( and possibly seal) i sent it to Rob at ELC for a quote. He says it’s one of theirs.
Think i’ll get them (ELC) to do a full resto then . I hate the nylon lining, don’t trust others to do the cuffs. I suppose if i sink £300 into it it might be worth near that after.
If i don’t replace the lining, there’s no proof it’s an Eastman and no re-sale value.
Thanks for the thoughts team. I’ll post pics when i get it back

Pilot

JW, ELC used to do a house goat in seal and a Cable in russet ( and possibly seal) i sent it to Rob at ELC for a quote. He says it’s one of theirs.
Think i’ll get them (ELC) to do a full resto then . I hate the nylon lining, don’t trust others to do the cuffs. I suppose if i sink £300 into it it might be worth near that after.
If i don’t replace the lining, there’s no proof it’s an Eastman and no re-sale value.
Thanks for the thoughts team. I’ll post pics when i get it back
Well done and said!

stanier

Definitely worth restoring and get ELC to do it. Penny pinching on the resto would devalue the jacket. Getting ELC to do it will likely lead to a small profit, and a very nice jacket.

And give the name tag a miss, and in a jacket with that patina, the decal too.

Just my tuppence worth.

Officer Dibley

Interesting thoughts from folk on the name tag.
Is any name tag deemed de-valueing ? If so, by how much ? For example, if i did the decal and “V. Hiltz” as the name tag, whilst the few potential buyers here might stick their noses in the air, to a non collector potential buyer, that might make the jacket more desirable as to them, it’s a dark brown jacket “just like” the one worn by McQueen

What about the name of a real flyer ?

Tag & decal can be aged of course

I could spend £300 and get a jacket worth exactly that. Would a tag & decal drop the value by that much ? Maybe that would make it a keeper. Whilst many here buy jackets with re-sale value the first or second thought, to me it’s a jacket first & last.

Dave