• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Short A2 for Warm Climate

Cocker

I'd say if you want an A-2, go for it! My A-2 isn't much hotter than my Alpha L-2 at all, and I wear both of them in the same range of temperature.

As other said previously, goat will not be cooler than horse, it will all depend on the thickness. For example, my goat Fivestar G1 is hotter than my HH A-2.

Great to hear from some Floridians!i like the fabric jackets! Even though I know an A2 may not see lots of general use in FL, my primary motivations are from a work perspective. I’m always working in cold offices and I think quality jackets make a nice “blazer substitute” to add some professional polish to the typical chino and polos worn in most offices. Also I think they make an excellent travel piece due to their versatility, dress up or dress down.

mulceber

For whatever it's worth I think it's completely reasonable for you to want to own an A-2 regardless of where you live. Now, if you wanted to have a huge leather jacket collection while living in Florida, I'd be scratching my head a bit, but ONE jacket? Treat yourself.

Brettafett

I used to spend a lot of time in Orlando, wsa based there for work a while back. Could not wear an flight jacket even if I wanted too. Having one in the closet on the other hand, for trips to cooler climates... yes!
That said, my AVI A-2 (2019) is my go-too A-2 in the UK Summer, its light enough not to be too warm and keeps that early morning/ late afternoon chill at bay. Its a great little goat A-2.

CoopDog

I live in Central FL now and have for the past 28 years. Unfortunately, I only get to wear my leather jackets about a dozen times a year. The rest of the time it’s either too hot, or yes, even too cold, on occasion. As far as length, 5’7” would be no problem in finding an A-2 if you were 135 lbs. I am guessing the reason you need a “short” is that you are heavier than that.

Brettafett

Heres another thought. You mentioned a first A-2, budget constraints and specific size etc... Why not look at Five Stars Doniger in goat (authentic for the contract). Mr Ali will customise the measurements for you, short or long, whatever.
Then maybe have a satin lining... great for warmer climates... All this for a relatively low cost. If you dont wear it a lot, no worries. You have a nice little A-2 for the occassion.
And... a great start into the obsession. Something to measure off and base your next purchases on ;)

Smithy

There's no real warmth to leather. It's the liner that determines the warmth of a leather jacket.

Although saying that leather is effectively a windcheater and as such prevents the breeze and wind to cool the body and does trap body heat to a certain degree, so therefore you'll sweat in one in warm weather.

As others have said a lightweight goatskin or lambskin jacket should be fine. I'd go thin goatskin just purely due to the fact it's nearly bulletproof so wears well.

If you live somewhere hot you will still be limited to when you wear it, probably the cooler months and evenings.

CoopDog

There's no real warmth to leather. It's the liner that determines the warmth of a leather jacket.

Although saying that leather is effectively a windcheater and as such prevents the breeze and wind to cool the body and does trap body heat to a certain degree, so therefore you'll sweat in one in warm weather.

Correct. Think about when the A-2 was designed. There were no artificial fabrics for shells or linings in existence yet and they were still flying in open cockpits. So, the A-2 was a windbreaker for warm weather. Leather was the only thing they had.

Smithy

Correct. Think about when the A-2 was designed. There were no artificial fabrics for shells or linings in existence yet and they were still flying in open cockpits. So, the A-2 was a windbreaker for warm weather. Leather was the only thing they had.

It goes much further back than even that. The first flying jacket/coat that the RFC bought out in 1912 (arguably the first service requested and specified flying jacket) was a chrome tanned, mid thigh length leather jacket.

CoopDog

It goes much further back than even that. The first flying jacket/coat that the RFC bought out in 1912 (arguably the first service requested and specified flying jacket) was a chrome tanned, mid thigh length leather jacket.

I actually goes back to the cave men. Animal skins were the first clothing.

CoopDog

They didn't do much flying though.
C5FD95BC-0408-4A61-BA9F-341F70CEE868.jpeg

Great comments. On my budget, I’m very interested in a goatskin jacket from AVI or US Authentic. I’ve also got my eye on the classifieds in the forum. Just hope length isn’t an issue.

Smithy

Great comments. On my budget, I’m very interested in a goatskin jacket from AVI or US Authentic. I’ve also got my eye on the classifieds in the forum. Just hope length isn’t an issue.

If you're tall the AVI Bronco is good, at least my size 44 one is which I bought in 2018. I'm 6' 2'' and the length is perfect in the 44 for me.

33-1729

The reviews I’ve read on AVI and US Authentic say they’re both nice entry level jackets with modern sizing, i.e., made for those more like 6’ as Smithy mentioned rather than for those under 5’8”. I’d check the sizing before purchase. The Dubow would be a better fit (https://jadubowmfg.com/a-2-jackets/)

B-Man2

If you happen to be a size 48 , I have a US Authentic Goatskin for sale:)