• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping insurance

cgreen

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're looking at a good weekend.

So I'm back today with another question about shipping - thanks to everyone who responded yesterday. The shipper has been told by his local FedEx office in Western Europe that he cannot insure the jacket because it's a used garment and FedEx has no way of determining the actual value.

Have any of you ever experienced this?

When I called FedEx yesterday they simply asked me how much I'd like it insured for and that was that. Now at the FedEx office they're telling the shipper something completely contrary.

Any thoughts?

Chris

cgreen

He's asked FedEx, DHL, the local post office, and has been told the same thing by all of them.

Pilot

He's asked FedEx, DHL, the local post office, and has been told the same thing by all of them.
DHL has two branches… postal ( very limited as already explained in another post and courier… the 137 Euro for 2kg in 3 days insured for 1000 Euro ).. and courier express..
So where did he ask and what did he asked for… cheapest?

Pilot

Thanks for that, I don't know what he asked for. I have to go back and ask him.
My 6 years advise ( shipping/Incoterms etc..) pay peanuts… get monkeys ( not my invention .. but
so so true.).. or at best shells of peanuts…
Again hundreds of posts about the subject…
you ca ask in 1001 modes and posts… the outcome for you and your little things ..eg jacket to be shipped inssured paid etc… will not improve…
Your choice..

cgreen

The mystery has been solved - the jacket is coming from Greece, and according to FedEx, Greece requires purchase receipts showing the value of the goods before they will allow an item to be insured.

FedEx in Canada told me that US customs can look at the declared value, open the package, determine that it's valued too low and then come up with their own price.

I don't really understand this because if the item is preowned and six years old, the value of it is whatever the seller and I negotiate it to be.

Can anyone elaborate?

Pilot

The mystery has been solved - the jacket is coming from Greece, and according to FedEx, Greece requires purchase receipts showing the value of the goods before they will allow an item to be insured.

FedEx in Canada told me that US customs can look at the declared value, open the package, determine that it's valued too low and then come up with their own price.

I don't really understand this because if the item is preowned and six years old, the value of it is whatever the seller and I negotiate it to be.

Can anyone elaborate?
The answer is in your invoice.. how much did you finally pay

cgreen

I haven't paid yet, trying to sort out shipping prior to. Seller is asking 475 Euro plus shipping fees.

Pilot

I haven't paid yet, trying to sort out shipping prior to. Seller is asking 475 Euro plus shipping fees.
The jacket price does not matter here….
Shipping? Insured if so how much?
Tracking? signature ? throw it under the porch? what are the incoterms conditions?
Again and again… save 50 Euro loose 500 Euro …many did it here already… tell us the end outcome of it please…

Last edited:

cgreen

There is no end outcome yet, the jacket hasn't been shipped. I haven't even paid for it yet.

In a nutshell, I have two options:

1. Send the jacket uninsured (because neither courier services nor the postal service will insure it without the original bill of sale, which the seller doesn't have as he bought it from the original owner) and hope for the best.
2. Don't buy the jacket and find something else