• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sheepskin Tanneries

Brylcreemer

Hi All,

After trying my hand at small alterations (changing mouton collars here, inserting new zips there), I've decided to finally have a go at making a jacket (or more specifically, a sheepskin vest) - I've bought an old fur cupping machine from the 1800's, (to go with my industrial straight stitch machine) and have finally rigged it up to a motor. Now I have an idea of what I want to make and how I'll make it - my problem is that I can't quite find the sheepskin that I want.

I've gotten some samples from a UK company of an 'Aviation Leathercraft'-type nappalan sheepskin, which is nice enough, but not really what I'm after. I've reached out to quite a few sheepskin companies here in the UK, but they don't seem to offer nappalan; only non-coated sueded sheepskin. I was wondering if I could extend my search to this forum: does anyone know who the 'go to' sheepskin manufacturer is post-Fenland, ideally, though not exclusive to, the UK?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Chris 55

Hi All,

After trying my hand at small alterations (changing mouton collars here, inserting new zips there), I've decided to finally have a go at making a jacket (or more specifically, a sheepskin vest) - I've bought an old fur cupping machine from the 1800's, (to go with my industrial straight stitch machine) and have finally rigged it up to a motor. Now I have an idea of what I want to make and how I'll make it - my problem is that I can't quite find the sheepskin that I want.

I've gotten some samples from a UK company of an 'Aviation Leathercraft'-type nappalan sheepskin, which is nice enough, but not really what I'm after. I've reached out to quite a few sheepskin companies here in the UK, but they don't seem to offer nappalan; only non-coated sueded sheepskin. I was wondering if I could extend my search to this forum: does anyone know who the 'go to' sheepskin manufacturer is post-Fenland, ideally, though not exclusive to, the UK?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Interesting I did do a bit of research as I thought about doing an Irvin from scratch but the problem is the skins.
If you do find some you have to order a batch very rare to find them on the self so to speak.
What fur machine did you manage to get Singer or Allbrook?

Brylcreemer

Thanks John, I'll check out that avenue.

Chris, it's thanks to you and your advice that I decided to get one. Glad I listened to you - it's such a nifty machine! I managed to get a great price on what is apparently the first model of these types of machines, made by a New York company in the 1890's called 'S.M. Jacoby'. Still works beautifully.

I fear I'll have that same problem re. min orders, but if I do find anything promising I'll be sure to let you know.