• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sheepskin Flying jacket - Advice, please

Flying Doctor

Chaps, first post with a couple of jacket pics, a wee story and asking for some advice.

The first image shows 2 MK VI flying jackets. The one on the left I bought in Ireland in 1975. Wore it for an eternity but grew too big for it but just couldn't sell it. Ended up living all over the world and bought a bunch of jackets trying to replace it, but without success. I still have 3 of them. The MK VI is different in that the pockets are external and it is, in my experience, the thickest and heaviest flying jacket I've every seen. Nowadays they tend to favour B3s and people like lighter coats and ginger doesn't seem to be popular.

After an eternity, I found the jacket on the left in large size. Happiest man in the world except within days of getting it the pelt started to split. The wool began to fall out. The second photo shows just how the collar started to fall apart. Obviously the coat is similar vintage to my original one but I fear the previous owner had it dry cleaned before selling it, with disastrous consequences.

I've been using a leather glue to try to rejoin the splits and it is reasonably successful but I fear the jackets days are numbered. The 3rd pic shows the jacket now and if you look closely at the ends of the sleeves you will see small bits of fur coming out.

So, here is the advice and guidance request please.

I did manage to find a bit of similar thickness and colour sheepskin (the bit shown in the first image) thinking maybe it would be possible to insert it into the collar to replace the bad bit, but really the whole collar is starting to disintegrate from the edges now too.

I live in Chicago and there is no-one that I can find that could do that job, so my questions are:

Is there anyone that you know off that could replace the collar or, and I know it would probably cost a king's ransom, take my jacket, pull it apart and make a new one based on the pieces.

Or and this is the longest shot, know anyone who makes a similar thick heavy jacket with this colour ginger sheepskin. I've seen some manufacturers who have similar jackets. Not sure if they are strictly B3s as they have belts which I don't want. They look good but always hard to tell thickness etc from pics.

I love this jacket, I'll wear it until it shreds in the supermarket as I walk around with it and bit fall to the floor :) but I need a replacement for when that happens.

So that's my story. Glad to be a member of the group. Don't ask me about my A2s. Its another saga :)

jackets.jpg
collar1.jpg
Largejacket1.jpg

MikeyB-17

Hi, welcome aboard. I believe these jackets were made by Cirrus-not really a reproduction of a specific military jacket, although the RAF Irvin is the nearest thing to it. I think Cirrus have ceased trading, but you can still find them for sale on EBay and the like. I think you’re right, the collar has rot and has had it-not sure who would replace that in the US. Fairly sure Shaun at Five Star would make you another one to your specifications.

Flying Doctor

Mikey-B-17, thanks for the reply. Yea there was never any maker name on them. This is the label from the small one. I've had a search / announcement thing on ebay for yonks but either wrong size, poor condition or wrong colour. I've just got in contact with Shawn and looking the best way to send him the jacket. I'll keep people posted on how it goes.

Yea, I always thought that it wasn't a reproduction of an RAF jacket as I've never seen one in any images.

My ex father in law was a mid gunner in Stirlings in WWII. If I remember right he flew in B-17s too. He wrote a book called Avenging in the Shadows about his 214 squadron and he still had the full sheepskin kit: jacket, trousers and gloves. He also had cool things like compass buttons and silk maps of France. His jacket was definitely not like the MK VI.

myjacket6.jpg