• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sheeley's Pending 1930s Utility Jacket Builds

Maverickson

Hi All,

Recently came up with an other hide option for my 1930's work jackets. In this case a russet colored goathide. As seen compared to my early 1930s russet colored goat hide work jacket. Most notably I believe that my work jacket was initially very close to this darker colored goat hide. As seen with my latest hide order.

Goat Hide Comparison.jpg

Note the jacket's darker russet seen on the inner sleeve. Except for a few places that still retain some of its orignal (darker russet) color, my jacket is now faded to a highly burnished and much lighter more reddish shade. Only after many years of wear.

Goat Hide Comparison 1.jpg

Russet Goathide.jpg

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Maverickson

Hi All,

A (size 46 verses size 34/36 and one of six other originals I utilized to derive my pattern) Button Up using that same russet colored goathide seen above.
Button Up Reverse Comparison .jpg

That comparison pic illustrates just how small that original truly is. The front slash pockets on the size 46 russet goat hide jacket has upgraded stitch work.

Size 46 Russet Goathide Edgewater Button Up.jpg

The size 46 is lined with rayon. Just as originally done back in the day. Note, also originally done throughout the 1930s with an interior welted pocket.

Keveins Lined Buttonup Edgewater _edited-1.jpg

Cheers, Dave

Last edited: