• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHEELEY'S 55J14 B-G INC G-1

Maverickson

Hi All,

As of late I've noticed a renewed interest in the G-1 jacket within this section. Thought I might add one of my latest creations in to the mix! In this case, not a generic jacket but in fact reproduced by using three different original B-G INC G-1 jackets from my personal collection. A rather rare jacket & all accumulated over a ten year period. Furthermore & as far as I know the only B-G INC 55J14 G-1 jacket reproduction made to date.

Please note that two of my three original B-G jackets were taken to pieces. Not to mention, to then have been rebuilt by me later. That way I was better able to follow the true intent of the builders designs both inside & out. Moreover, it is my firm belief that without going to this extent to much is lost in the translation to accurately create any given reproduction.

The 55J14 was a truly transitional jacket and I have taken the time to have studied it's design. This B-G INC utilizes a mix of both cotton and nylon thread in it's construction. Not to mention, not built always using 90 degree angles which tends to give many but not all USN type jackets a boxy look.

These B-G INC 55J14 G-1's are rather rare pre Korean War era G-1s. Albeit, more along the lines of the M-422A type in design. However, done using a much less boxy cut lending to a classy look. Not to mention, for this model these jackets have a few of their own unique characteristics and completely unique to this make.

This featured B-G INC reproduction jacket was made using a chocolate colored vegetable tanned goat hide. Again, seen utilized by this maker. This hide is a medium to heavy weight to correctly duplicate my three same make vintage jackets. I used an original late War & correct to this make brass Talon. The vintage mouton was hand picked by me.

After much effort I believe that I came up with a winning combination with this particular reproduction jacket build.

Seen here with one of the jackets used to reproduce it.

Note that it is amazing what a nice mouton collar does for a USN type jacket.

Plus a couple of choice close up images.

All what one might expect from one of my builds!

As an aside, if the chocolate color is not to your taste I just received a minimum order of nice seal brown vegetable tanned goat hide done to a 1.1 mm thickness. That color sample used was taken from one of my bagged vegetable tanned vintage USN jackets. Specifically from within the inside of one of the pockets. As to not have faded & sent out to have that hide made up is seen below.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Teddy

That's one beautiful G1, Dave! Thanks a lot for going through so much trouble to faithfully reproduce the jacket.

That chocolate color is very nice, almost like the color on my W&G M422a ;)

Skip

Super Work Dave, its good enough to eat! Looking' forward to the build.

It will be interesting to see the difference between the AN-J-3 hide you made and this new seal brown 1.1 veg tanned.

Maverickson

Hi All,

I've got another B-G INC build going on. In this case a size 36/38 Long and one of the most diminutive sized builds I've done to date.

A make that as previously mentioned that I have recognize as often made with a vegetable tanned hide. More than likely the last of it's kind. As demonstrated by one of my originals from this same make and seen below.

View attachment 47186

View attachment 47187

Just ran the button holes for the pocket flaps and throat latch. Note those hides used are also vegetable tanned goat hide.

View attachment 47227

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Maverickson

Hi All,

In reproducing this B-G INC. G-1 jacket and as with all of my builds I've had my own knits custom made. As a result correctly configured to that particular build. All done to my specifications which then correctly duplicates that version originally used for that particular maker.

Just as seen with my original B-G INC.G-1. Most notably pictured below with exact matching 100% wool knits.

B-G INC.jpg

Please note that my original B-G INC jacket seen in that provided image retains it's original knits. While those knits seen in comparison were configured to exactly match that particular jacket's original knits style and color.

Yes, all knits are not made alike. Each of those vintage manufacturers had their particular knits configured differently. In other words they all came in different sizes and shapes. In other words, I specifically made to matched my knits to that make I am reproducing.

Moreover, even if done in 100% wool there are some varieties that have a tendency to both pill and or itch. All of which can be attributed to the type of wool used and length of the fibers. Most notably my knits were done to my specification. Manufactured using long fibers and less likely to either pill or itch.

In the end, my knits not only match that jacket. They should hold up as well as or better than those original knits as seen attached to my all original 1950 model jacket.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited: