• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shearling Preventative Maintenance?

Dover

I recently acquired a RoughWear B6. Love the jacket and will post pics soon.
I have a question in the meantime. I've seen pictures of older shearling jackets with flaking and leather loss.
Don't want that happening to mine so....would an application of Pecard's or a similar product be wise to
prevent similar leather flaking? Or are repro jackets "sealed" with something during manufacture to prevent this type of damage? Any ideas?

Steve27752

You should not need to treat a new jacket.......Shearling will flake, rip and eventually blow. As far as I know there is no way to stop it happening.

Smithy

Just as over time your hair will grey and gravity will do funny things to some of your bits and bobs, so a shearling/sheepskin jacket with experience some flaking and top coat loss of the outside surface. It's natural and is merely patina - look at original 80 year old Irvins, B-3s. B-6s, etc.

If you want a pristine sheepskin jacket you'll either have to not wear it or replace it every few years when wear becomes apparent. Personally I'd rather have a jacket with some wear and tear.

silvio76

I recently acquired a RoughWear B6. Love the jacket and will post pics soon.
I have a question in the meantime. I've seen pictures of older shearling jackets with flaking and leather loss.
Don't want that happening to mine so....would an application of Pecard's or a similar product be wise to
prevent similar leather flaking? Or are repro jackets "sealed" with something during manufacture to prevent this type of damage? Any ideas?
I use hand creme once a year and spread on leather. Leather is soft and do not flaking.