• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seems like ELC will introduce a new jacket to their range...

Pilot

Pilot

OK, thx. Very well made USN jackets....and same as the RMcC’s price level.
On these jackets also a few increases recently if I remember correctly.

Smithy

Yes but imported materials went up by the same amount. Italian horeshide and Chinese sheepskin.

The thing with ELC's price rises is that you can't base them purely on an increase in material costs because otherwise companies like Aero (so operating in the same industry and in the same geographical/national location) would have also had to raise their prices 5 times in the last 24 months - or whatever it is now, I've lost count of how many times they've done it now.

Finally and despite all the comments and posts here...ELC is still selling ...to VLJ members, maybe to a few less, but still selling .....plus selling a lot elsewhere.

Very, very true and I think they will continue to do so as well. What gets me though is that for the price they really aren't worth it now in my mind. They're not the most accurate and they are basically off the rack so no sizing customisation or bespoke/made to measure customer service. I think you can do a lot, lot, lot better for your money.

SuinBruin

Most of the A-2s now seem to have ridiculously oversized collars and overly skinny forearms to boot.
Agreed. ELC fixing these two aspects of their A-2s would go a long way towards improving their look and authenticity. But I guess demand is such that they don't need to worry about it.

B-Man2

The thing with ELC's price rises is that you can't base them purely on an increase in material costs because otherwise companies like Aero (so operating in the same industry and in the same geographical/national location) would have also had to raise their prices 5 times in the last 24 months - or whatever it is now, I've lost count of how many times they've done it now.

Very, very true and I think they will continue to do so as well. What gets me though is that for the price they really aren't worth it now in my mind. They're not the most accurate and they are basically off the rack so no sizing customisation or bespoke/made to measure customer service. I think you can do a lot, lot, lot better for your money.
In the US when you do the math and compare the cost of an ELC delivered to your door , and figure in the cost of the jacket , the shipping cost from the UK, and the import fees. You are easily at or above the price of a Good Wear, and probably exceed the price of an original . Now I realize that not everyone prefers an original for a number of reasons and I also realize that not everyone wants to wait 2 years for a Good Wear. So to me it makes sense that the used market should begin to see an increase in sales and sale prices in the near future. To be honest did anyone here EVER think they would consider dropping $1200-1500 US on a leather jacket before you joined this forum? I sure as hell didn’t and I cant believe that Im still doing it today!!

John Lever

In the US when you do the math and compare the cost of an ELC delivered to your door , and figure in the cost of the jacket , the shipping cost from the UK, and the import fees. You are easy at or above the price of a Good Wear, and probably exceed the price of an original . Now I realize that not everyone prefers an original for a number of reasons and I also realize that not everyone wants to wait 2 years for a Good Wear. So to me it makes sense that the used market should begin to see an increase in sales and sale prices in the near future. To be honest did anyone here EVER think they would consider dropping $1200-1500 US on a leather jacket before you joined this forum? I sure as hell didn’t and I can believe that Im still doing it today!!
I spent 1200 gbp on some Few sheepskins and that was years ago. Crazy

Last edited:

B-Man2

I spent 1700 gbp on some Few sheepskins
Right ... and I commend you for being able to do that, and I’ve made a number of purchases that I would consider over the top for my spending habits , but honestly John we are not normal when it comes to dumping money into this hobby. Your basic working guy would be appalled at the thought of spending the price of an ELC or GW for one lightweight leather jacket that wouldn’t keep him warm on one of your frosty UK winter days. Let alone drop 1700 GBH on a set of sheepskins, don’t you think?

Smithy

Agreed. ELC fixing these two aspects of their A-2s would go a long way towards improving their look and authenticity. But I guess demand is such that they don't need to worry about it.

I really think now that ultra authenticity isn't their number one priority anymore. I mentioned it in another thread but I think they're more trying to convey this "idea" of US mid 20th century Americana rather than a realistic and accurate version, which if they are concentrating on the Far East market now probably works.

In the US when you do the math and compare the cost of an ELC delivered to your door , and figure in the cost of the jacket , the shipping cost from the UK, and the import fees. You are easily at or above the price of a Good Wear

I know which I'd rather have for the money Burt!

SuinBruin

In the US when you do the math and compare the cost of an ELC delivered to your door , and figure in the cost of the jacket , the shipping cost from the UK, and the import fees. You are easily at or above the price of a Good Wear, and probably exceed the price of an original . Now I realize that not everyone prefers an original for a number of reasons and I also realize that not everyone wants to wait 2 years for a Good Wear. So to me it makes sense that the used market should begin to see an increase in sales and sale prices in the near future. To be honest did anyone here EVER think they would consider dropping $1200-1500 US on a leather jacket before you joined this forum? I sure as hell didn’t and I cant believe that Im still doing it today!!
To get back on one of my hobby horses, if ELC would back out the non-applicable VAT charge for US and other overseas customers their prices would be more competitive. But again, demand is apparently such that they don't need to worry about it.

John Lever

Right ... and I commend you for being able to do that, and I’ve made a number of purchases that I would consider over the top for my spending habits , but honestly John we are not normal when it comes to dumping money into this hobby. Your basic working guy would be appalled at the thought of spending the price of an ELC or GW for one lightweight leather jacket that wouldn’t keep him warm on one of your frosty UK winter days. Let alone drop 1700 GBH on a set of sheepskins, don’t you think?
It was probably less than that but I think my LW Anj4 set me back 1700 including taxes. Yes silly really many would rightly consider a waste of money.

ausreenactor

The values of the second hand ELCs and all other jackets will rise. It is not just jackets, it is consistent across second hand RM Williams boots as well.

Norshor has a great Facebook presence. Dave's work is first rate. No desire to do things to external pricing expectations which is great.

Micawber

To coin a politicians hackneyed phrase - "at the end of the day" - ELC will raise their pricing up to a point where sales in their target markets reach what they will have forecast to be what that market can bear. If, for whatever reason, sales and profits in those market start to tail off ELC will more than likely have contingency plans in place to deal with it.

Would I buy a new ELC jacket now? In short no not now. I would rather invest the money in another bespoke tweed jacket, suit etc. Off the peg will always be off the peg to me and that includes reproduction flight jackets. Nothing compares to a proper tailor made bespoke garment made specifically for you, something that is the result of quite a number of measurements taken by an experienced hand an eye that takes into account a subtly dropped shoulder, stoop, twist of the spine, lumps and bumps etc. But of course all that is hardly the relevant to a copy of an issue, mass produced flight jacket so I'll shut up now ;)

Last edited:

B-Man2

To coin a politicians hackneyed phrase - "at the end of the day" - ELC will raise their pricing up to a point where sales in their target markets reach what they will have forecast to be what that market can bear. If, for whatever reason, sales and profits in those market start to tail off ELC will more than likely have contingencies plans in place to deal with it

Would I buy a new ELC jacket now? In short no not now. I would rather invest the money in another bespoke tweed jacket, suit etc. Off the peg will always be off the peg to me and that includes reproduction flight jackets. Nothing compares to a proper tailor made bespoke garment made specifically for you, something that is the result of quite a number of measurements taken by an experienced hand an eye that takes into account a subtly dropped shoulder, stoop, twist of the spine, lumps and bumps etc. But of course all that is hardly the relevant to a copy of an issue, mass produced flight jacket so I'll shut up now ;)
No ..... no please continue... as one who’s reached the age of having subtly dropped shoulders, stooped, with a twist of the spine with lumps and bumps , I find all of this very pertinent and extremely interesting :D:D:D

ausreenactor

To coin a politicians hackneyed phrase - "at the end of the day" - ELC will raise their pricing up to a point where sales in their target markets reach what they will have forecast to be what that market can bear. If, for whatever reason, sales and profits in those market start to tail off ELC will more than likely have contingency plans in place to deal with it.

Valid points. There are certainly more pleasures drawn from a bespoke A-2. I have the BK 'Beast' for that. The base price for an ELC A-2 is certainly up there now and it would take a windfall or the sale of a couple of my repros to fund it. Replacing two jackets with one doesn't make much sense as a collector. I have traded up over the last twenty years to get to where the collection is now. Research and the 'buy three, flip two' in 2008 when the exchange rates aligned were catalysts to the BR collection.

Wish I bought a HLB when I could though.. They NEVER show up!