• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seems like ELC will introduce a new jacket to their range...

Griffon_301

Just spotted at Instagram

Mixed Batch B-6-That thing looks sweet!
Wonder how much dineros they will take for it...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191206-204956_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20191206-204956_Instagram.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 192

Griffon_301

I fear you are right they might introduce the jacket for about the same price their RW B-6 costs only to move it close to 2000 GBP soon after that...

Coincidentally, in the new issue of Avant magazine, there is a feature about ELC which states that their jackets start at about 2500 USD if that's a hint on where they want to get then it's good bye ELC for me...no way I am going to pay that much ...

Smithy

I fear you are right they might introduce the jacket for about the same price their RW B-6 costs only to move it close to 2000 GBP soon after that...

Coincidentally, in the new issue of Avant magazine, there is a feature about ELC which states that their jackets start at about 2500 USD if that's a hint on where they want to get then it's good bye ELC for me...no way I am going to pay that much ...

We've talked a lot about ELC's prices here over the last few years. I used to love their stuff back in the day and raved about them over at the Beret Place and here in the past but now their prices are a joke, actually they're an insult when you consider they are basically off the rack. There's no simple other way of putting it - they are overpriced and a ripoff for what they are. Look at Goodwear jackets, they're not cheap but the good thing with John's jackets that a lot forget is that he will make them to your body measurements. In terms of small details and how they look he's a thousand miles ahead of ELC as well.

I wouldn't buy an ELC new now as I just don't consider them good value for what you get. Most of the A-2s now seem to have ridiculously oversized collars and overly skinny forearms to boot. There's better ways to spend your money.

Griffon_301

I just bought my two shearlings, the Irvin and the B-6 new from then, but that was with the airshow discount they used to offer at Duxford Flying Legends. All the other jackets I now own from them were purchased used, or in the case of the B-3 and G-1 several years ago (over 20 in the case of the B-3) when they were still reasonably priced...

I share your opinion on the current state of affairs and I have high hopes for other makers to step in and fill the void of reasonably priced good repros...

The only jacket I am after now is either a ANJ-4 or a M-445...
Buzz Rickson does a great looking M-445 but at over 2500 pounds and only sized up to 44 I am out of that game too...

Money available I might head the Aeroleather way for a good ANJ-4 one day...

B-Man2

Totally agree with both of you guys, my ELC loving days are over and while there are differences of opinions regarding wether ELC is setting themselves up for a commanding presence in the China and Japan markets or just trying milk a few more dollars and pounds out of the Western ones , as far as I’m concerned , with me they’ve shit the bed ! In my opinion ( its always important to say that;)) the best value for the money is Platons Dubow. But as others have said if only we could get him to make a 1 inch longer jacket. C’mon Platon .... I know you’re lurking out there somewhere !!!!

adfrost

Paying even over $1,200-1,500 is way too much for me and $2K+ strikes me as utter lunacy. Are they better than say, Aero...I guess...but 2-3x better? I have a hard time believing that. But as long as people will bend over and pay it...

Pilot

Another fact is that the GBP depressed by approx. 30% towards the JP ¥ and approx 20% towards the PRC Yuan ...within the last 5 years...
In other words all UK makers exporting to those countries can increase their prices accordingly, the buyers there dont even notice....
Finally and despite all the comments and posts here...ELC is still selling ...to VLJ members, maybe to a few less, but still selling .....plus selling a lot elsewhere.

Griffon_301

Of course ELC is still selling and they will continue to do so...but just not to me anymore if we are talking jackets...

I was lucky to grab the Irvin and the B-6 when they were still reasonably priced and the same applies to the G-1 that I got as a bday present from my missus 5 years ago...
But current prices are just too high to get "average" guys into starting collecting jackets...
At Duxford it was always nice to see the reenactors in their gear walking around the aircraft and then seeing those jackets in flesh in their stall. I guess some people drew that last bit of motivation for biting the bullet and buying a jacket from seeing them worn by reenactors before and then trying them on in the stall. Seeing Steven Gray (the boss and founder of The Fighter Collection) walking past me wearing his G-1 and then seeing the same jacket in the ELC stall did it for me... This possibility is now gone and the current pricing and their policy of not doing Duxford is starting to detach ELC from their original fanbase and customer base as well IMHO..

John Lever

Another fact is that the GBP depressed by approx. 30% towards the JP ¥ and approx 20% towards the PRC Yuan ...within the last 5 years...
In other words all UK makers exporting to those countries can increase their prices accordingly, the buyers there dont even notice....
Finally and despite all the comments and posts here...ELC is still selling ...to VLJ members, maybe to a few less, but still selling .....plus selling a lot elsewhere.
Yes but imported materials went up by the same amount. Italian horeshide and Chinese sheepskin.

Pilot

Yes but imported materials went up by the same amount. Italian horeshide and Chinese sheepskin.
Agreed...but it does not affect the ELC price list in JP¥ or PRC Yuan...due to the GP£ drop against those....even if the GP£ price list has been increased..

Pilot

Confused....20 to 30 % .material price increases so end product price increases for all customers in all countries. Hence recent prise rises.
yes, agree confusing.
Lets take an example of an ELC B-3 RW.
In 2014 the price was approx. ( approx. value not 100% sure) 900 GP£
In 2014 one GB£ was 195 JP¥ so in Japan the ELC B-3 RW was 175.500,- JP¥ ( plus taxes).
Today ....five years later...the same ELC B-3 RW costs 1300 GB£ and one GP£ is 143 JP¥ ( approx. 27% depression) ... so in Japan the same ELC B-3 RW costs 185.900,- JP¥ ( plus taxes)...The Japanese collector pays only (approx.+ 4%) 69 GB£ more than in 2014...( BTW his wages went up by approx..18% in 5 years ).
My point , ELC price increase of 5 years was absorbed or compensated by the dropping GB£... the increase of costs/prices was absorbed as well.
Only the UK GB£ paying customer sees a drastic price increase.
Hope my explanation is understandable.

Last edited:

John Lever

yes, agree confusing.
Lets take an example of an ELC B-3 RW.
In 2014 the price was approx. ( approx. value not 100% sure) 900 GP£
In 2014 one GB£ was 195 JP¥ so in Japan the ELC B-3 RW was 175.500,- JP¥ ( plus taxes).
Today ....five years later...the same ELC B-3 RW costs 1300 GB£ and one GP£ is 143 JP¥ ( approx. 27% depression) ... so in Japan the same ELC B-3 RW costs 185.900,- JP¥ ( plus taxes)...The Japanese collector pays only (approx.+ 4%) 69 GB£ more than in 2014...( BTW his wages went up by approx..18% in 5 years ).
My point , ELC price increase of 5 years was absorbed or compensated by the dropping GB£... the increase of costs/prices was absorbed as well.
Only the UK GB£ paying customer sees a drastic price increase.
Hope my explanation is understandable.
I thought about and yes, the price increases only really affect UK customers. We are importing inflation in that sense.
I just won't buy jackets at these prices. I much prefer well used jackets made from far superior naterials, that is why I use Yahoo.

Last edited:

Pilot

BTW, as a little side note, the excellent AN-J-3 and AN-J-3A’ s and G-1’s made by this small US Co. are on the same price level.