• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seemingly bullitproof dye on ELC M422A

better duck

Hi Folks, I copied the main text of this topic from an earlier one (titled "Big M422"). My burning question received no attention whatsoever from any of you guys. This may have something to do with the shapely legs of actress Cyd Charisse, that surrounded my post.
Much as I admire and adore those shapely legs, me thinks leather jackets and their assorted matters of life & death have priority, at least on this forum. ;) In order to steer away from legs and back to my "problem": over to my question:

I looked over the photos of the M422 on e-bay, and one thing I noticed, that the top colour of that jacket has given way in a lot of places to the underlying colour of, presumably, the leather.
Now my ELC M422A, that's some 4 or 5 years old now and has been worn quite a bit, doesn't show the least inclination of going the same way: the upper layer of dye seems bullitproof.
IMG_1573-1-1.jpg

Anybody knows whether this is consistant with at least a sizeable proportion of originals?

In order to give you easy acces to the E-bay posting of the Big M422, I put in this link to the original topic. BUT ONLY FOR REFERENCE TO THE JACKET IN QUESTION; YOU WILL PLEASE IGNORE THE PHOTOS OF CYD CHARISSE('s legs)!http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2416

havocpaul

I think the goatskin ELC are/were using was particularly 'tough', the ones I remember looking at a few years back seemed thicker than original jackets I had owned. I think they have addressed this with the option of 'time-worn' jackets as the pocket of the M-442a on their updated site has the bottom colour coming through from subtle 'wear'. I can't comment on the thickness of the current hide but from the period yours is from I think as you say they are 'bullet-proof' which originals weren't, although obviously goat lasts better than horse/steer so many originals can look very good. Now back to those legs....mmmm!!

better duck

havocpaul said:
I think the goatskin ELC are/were using was particularly 'tough', the ones I remember looking at a few years back seemed thicker than original jackets I had owned. I think they have addressed this with the option of 'time-worn' jackets as the pocket of the M-442a on their updated site has the bottom colour coming through from subtle 'wear'. I can't comment on the thickness of the current hide but from the period yours is from I think as you say they are 'bullet-proof' which originals weren't, although obviously goat lasts better than horse/steer so many originals can look very good. Now back to those legs....mmmm!!
Paul, thanks for taking some time (and eyes) off of those legs! :D I agree with your remarks on ELCs new "time worn look" I commented positively on this in another post.
Just to underline my point: I am not referring to the hide: that seems OK, is well grained, not too thick or thin; I am only talking about the dye, which doesn't seem to wear off at all.

havocpaul

I think their is a difference in the dye too as several originals I handled all had the patina where the bottom colour had pushed through with wear which in some cases looked great; I have to say all the ELC jackets I saw were new so I couldn't comment on how they wear after some time. It may be how the dye ELC use affects their particular goatskin hides, difficult to say as it is only used on the Navy jackets and Cable A-2 which is a light shade anyhow.

les_garten

Hello,
I have a 46 Ed Church, the one on J.C.'s disc. It has only one color over the whole thing. Kinda like a Chrome Dye I believe. I have a Ralph Edwards(G-1) and LW Foster(G-1) also and they look very uniform in color.