• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Security Aviation Togs

fleet16b

Looking at pictures of these early pre-war jackets , I love their look better than any other A2 contract
Is anyone manufacturer currently making a decent SAT A2 at the moment ?

B-Man2

Looking at pictures of these early pre-war jackets , I love their look better than any other A2 contract
Is anyone manufacturer currently making a decent SAT A2 at the moment ?
John Chapman at Good Wear Leather makes the most accurate Aviation Security Togs A2 available, you might consider contacting him if you’re interested in having one made.
Good luck with your search.

fleet16b

Thank you
I have a Goodwear A1
In this economy , another high end , high price is not an option at this time.
Am wondering who else is out there doing them theses days

mulceber

None that I know of. I’m sure Five Star would be happy to give it a go, if you’re ok with a vaguely close option, although they could get closer if you’re willing to do some research to help them get the details right. But if you’re asking is there a top tier repro of the SAT contract available, my advice would be to put down the $200 to get on John Chapman’s list and start saving.

ausreenactor

Shawn could perfect the label and a half decent reproduction in that time.... Think I have the pic of the BR SAT label I sent JC many years ago....

Grant

As far as I know, no one is currently making an accurate SAT reproduction at the moment. I used to own one of the first SAT's John made, but the overly thick hides used and the inaccurate neck hook construction made me sell it on. If you want a great repro of a pre-war jacket, the ELC HLB or Werber are some of the best. Just my two cents!

ausreenactor

I had a BR repro years ago. Knits were unique and the label was spot on. Lack of buttons in the pockets was puzzling. Pics of it here somewhere.

mulceber

The problem I’m noticing is that none of the repros have the extra long knit cuffs of the original. Might be better to take Grant’s advice and go for another early contract.

DSC_0198_zpsoeig2oyx.jpg

01.jpg

Last edited:

33-1729

Thank you
I have a Goodwear A1
In this economy , another high end , high price is not an option at this time.
Am wondering who else is out there doing them theses days

There are three known button pocket flap contracts.

Skipping the "high end, high price" takes out the Good Wear SAT 32-485 and no one else is making that repro as Grant noted. Headwind's 31-1897 Goldsmith, as Nickb123 noted, is the only button pocket flap contract currently being re-manufactured, but Jay mentioned on another thread that he was considering making a Werber 32-6225 if you want something totally new (no one else has reproduced this button pocket flap contract). I'd ask Jay at Headwind if interested (link below).

As an aside, I spoke with John Chapman a few months ago and he expects the Good Wear wait time to be more like a year now.

fleet16b

There are three known button pocket flap contracts.

Skipping the "high end, high price" takes out the Good Wear SAT 32-485 and no one else is making that repro as Grant noted. Headwind's 31-1897 Goldsmith, as Nickb123 noted, is the only button pocket flap contract currently being re-manufactured, but Jay mentioned on another thread that he was considering making a Werber 32-6225 if you want something totally new (no one else has reproduced this button pocket flap contract). I'd ask Jay at Headwind if interested (link below).

As an aside, I spoke with John Chapman a few months ago and he expects the Good Wear wait time to be more like a year now.

Thank you
I really want an early contract example of an A2

mulceber

Aero made a limited run of 25 Goldsmith 31-1897 jackets, like the original contract, along with a couple test jackets. Headwind is making the Goldsmith 31-1897 as part of their normal offerings.

Yep - Jay did a smaller initial run, just to get the ball rolling, so maybe that’s the source of confusion.

fleet16b

Thanks
I am seriously thinking about contacting g Headwind to do a Goldsmith or some other early form of A2
I find the really early contracts more to my liking than the later versions
Current I have an ELC RE. 1401P , ELC Irvin and a Goodwear A1

B-Man2

Thanks
I am seriously thinking about contacting g Headwind to do a Goldsmith or some other early form of A2
I find the really early contracts more to my liking than the later versions
Current I have an ELC RE. 1401P , ELC Irvin and a Goodwear A1
Do you mind if I ask what size jacket you wear?