• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Security Aviation Togs Repro in the works anywhere?

Just bought an ELC A1 from Alan, and as I'm thinking of pre-war 'early' jackets, it occurred to me that if the ultra rare A1 can be obtained, measured, and reproduced, surely there's a SAT out there somewhere that the fine high end repro makers can borrow and replicate. Anybody know of one in the wild and if anyone is working on a repro? I'd surely buy one.

Dan

SuinBruin

We need to find an original SAT for sale somewhere and take up a collection to buy it. Then we can send it to John to copy. When he's done we can resell the jacket and recoup our investment, and there will finally be a readily available accurate SAT repro. :cool:

just a thought
matt

ausreenactor

I have the Buzz Rickson Superior Togs offering. While not a true replica of the pre war model, it is a great jacket. Label is a ripper!!
Not too many of them around..At US$1500 there would not be..I picked it up early this year..me thinks?? Or late last year??

DSC03968.jpg

Couchy

Persimmon

ausreenactor said:
I have the Buzz Rickson Superior Togs offering. While not a true replica of the pre war model, it is a great jacket. Label is a ripper!!
Not too many of them around..At US$1500 there would not be..I picked it up early this year..me thinks?? Or late last year??

DSC03968.jpg

Couchy

Couchy,
Can you post some full length pictures of the jacket.
When you say its not a true replica where does it differ ?

Thanks

Persimmon

Thanks David.
Interesting discussion thread.
The pictures unfortunately are not showing up.
Has Miles still got this jacket I wonder .
Just my size !!

Chris217

I'm sure JC would be able make a fairly close copy of a SAT using period photos of originals and the few pics of surviving examples. While it would not be an EXACT copy, it would still be closer than anything else offered. At least until an original surfaces that he can copy. I know I'd buy one. Just a thought.

Dr H

Just my pennyworth...
The only modern SAT A2 that I have seen (albeit in images) is in Art of The Flight Jacket (Maguire and Conway), pp. 148-150. This one is in fine condition and would make an excellent donor for such a copy.
I see that all the colour photos, and perhaps the accompanying text, are attributed to Charlie Wilhite (who is also mentioned in the acknowledgements); one surmises that he might be/have been the owner.
Do any of you long term collectors know of this gentleman or are you acquainted with Maguire or Conway, who might be able to point you in the direction of this surviving example? Perhaps the owner might be persuaded to allow it to be copied...
Cheers
Ian

fleet16b

How does this differ from a standard issue A-2?
There are subtle difference in the arm installation,
Pocket shape, zipper box , zipper type , label etc
But the most obvious difference is the button up pockets which was only seen on a couple of early A2 contracts
I am still learning about the SAT myself but there are others here that can answer you question with more detail
John Chapman has done an incredible amount by of research and listened to some of the experts on the page
This he has updated his SAT example and will soon be offering them on his website
I believe my jacket will be the one showcased in his picture gallery
This jacket does not look anything like the SAT jackets I’ve seen in period pictures

ausreenactor

There are subtle difference in the arm installation,
Pocket shape, zipper box , zipper type , label etc
But the most obvious difference is the button up pockets which was only seen on a couple of early A2 contracts
I am still learning about the SAT myself but there are others here that can answer you question with more detail
John Chapman has done an incredible amount by of research and listened to some of the experts on the page
This he has updated his SAT example and will soon be offering them on his website
I believe my jacket will be the one showcased in his picture gallery

This jacket does not look anything like the SAT jackets I’ve seen in period pictures

A lot can be learned in a decade!