• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sears moto jacket

entertainment

I just got this jacket off ebay this past week: no jackets for at least eighteen months and then two arrive in the mail on sequential days (also a Headwinds Goldsmith).

This jacket is in great shape except for a slightly frayed cuff. It smells good, the lining is is great shape, etc. Someone must have babied it.
It seems well made to me, except for a few details that were cheaped out, like the shoulders and the belt (which has folded over edges).
Based on the label image, I am assuming steerhide. It is pretty thick: 1.5mm.
Zipper by "LENZIP" which is a new one for me.

Sears used this label from 1966-1984 according to online sources so I would assume 1970s or early 1980s.

IMG_2862.JPG
IMG_2863.JPG
IMG_2866.JPG
IMG_2864.JPG
IMG_2865.JPG

B-Man2

Sears is slowly going down the crapper, so hang onto that one , it will be very collectible in a few years .

Silver Surfer

sears, the once formidable catalog company. they went big box, and over their head. in an attempt to prioritize volume sales most of their goods quality was compromised....with the notable exception of the washers, dryers, fridges, etc. those were made under agreement by Maytag,, whirlpool, et at, and had to meet sears quality standards. this is how sears dealt with the the leather jackets that they sold during the 1930s-50-s. sears [and other sears names such as hercules] sold jackets made by monarch, buco-allstate, Californian, taubers, et al. dunno who made the one above, or where it was made, but it is an interesting observation "a few of the details were cheeped out". all that said, the jacket looks solid and should stand up well to every day use.

Last edited:

entertainment

Whenever I went to the Schott store and tried on a 618, I always felt like a superannuated Ramones wannabe.
But this jacket does not make me feel that way.
Buying it was a fairly cheap means to find that out, but I think it is definitely a keeper. Given the thick leather, now I understand why a motorcyclist would wear one.

entertainment

sears, the once formidable catalog company. they went big box, and over their head. in an attempt to prioritize volume sales most of their goods quality was compromised....with the notable exception of the washers, dryers, fridges, etc. those were made under agreement by Maytag,, whirlpool, et at, and had to meet sears quality standards. this is how sears dealt with the the leather jackets that they sold during the 1930s-50-s. sears [and other sears names such as hercules] sold jackets made by monarch, buco-allstate, Californian, tubers, et al. dunno who made the one above, or where it was made, but it is an interesting observation "a few of the details were cheeped out". all that said, the jacket looks solid and should stand up well to every day use.

I feel like this was jobbed out to a pretty good manufacturer who was forced to use some cheap details, but still had enough pride to make an excellent jacket.

entertainment

I searched Lenzip and it is still in business. "Since 1946." Chicago-based which makes sense for Sears!
Sleeve zips are YKK.

Last edited: