• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seal Brown Dye?

bellumbill

Hello all! I am interested in re-dyeing a HH G&B A2 I recently picked up cheap. I would like to know your expert opinions on which retail leather dye BEST replicates the WWII seal brown color. Thank you very much, Bill K.

Micawber

Fiebings Mahogany oil based is a bit red but mixed with dark brown as a base but advising online on tints to mix is tricky. Best consult colour cards and choose yourself then the results will be your choice ;)
There are other dye ranges available. Check out some of the re dye threads that already exist. You need to thoroughly clean the existing surface first. Success depends on thorough prep and the existing finish. Trial on an out of sight area first.

Good luck.

bellumbill

Fiebings Mahogany oil based is a bit red but mixed with dark brown as a base but advising online on tints to mix is tricky. Best consult colour cards and choose yourself then the results will be your choice ;)
There are other dye ranges available. Check out some of the re dye threads that already exist. You need to thoroughly clean the existing surface first. Success depends on thorough prep and the existing finish. Trial on an out of sight area first.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for your input! I have been checking old threads when I have the time. Good expertise here.

Very best,
Bill K.

dinomartino1

I have redyed 5 brown jackets and what I can say is the original colour you dye over in brown jackets will alter the colour of the new dye,
it will not be exactly the same as what you see on a colour chart.
The lighter the colour underneath the more affect it will have, fiebings pro dye is not a lot dearer than the regular fiebings but it gives a better finish.

s4rmark

Fiebings is very good stuff, I died these Bundeswehr grey gloves with fiebings medium brown .the image is after one coat.
9BAC6170-ADA4-4E47-BEDE-F0B192A25AF8.jpeg

dinomartino1

Fiebings leather balm with atom wax really will darken a colour and unlike other finishes is not sticky or tacky after drying, a liquid you just rub on and buff off.

Last edited:

Micawber

I have redyed 5 brown jackets and what I can say is the original colour you dye over in brown jackets will alter the colour of the new dye,
it will not be exactly the same as what you see on a colour chart.
The lighter the colour underneath the more affect it will have, fiebings pro dye is not a lot dearer than the regular fiebings but it gives a better finish.

Agree 100%. The pro dye is good and the base colour will affect the final colour as will the number of coats of dye you use. I mix colours to suit and use a range of application methods. So many variables so do experiment on hidden areas first. You can always go darker but removing finish can be tricky and messy.