• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seabees deck jacket - Real? Fantasy? Who knows!

MeachamLake

I have found so many conflicting answers to this from threads on various forums over the years that I am intrigued to see what people think now.

The Seabees deck jacket, repro-d by McCoys and Buzz Rickson, has often been a source of much dispute amongst our communities. Some say it's a repro of a post-war civvy jacket; others are adamant that they did indeed exist (made by Sigmund Eisner and Co) but in tiny numbers, allegedly due to the fact they proved to be nowhere near durable enough for their intended purposes.

Some individuals claim to have period photos of them being worn but sadly the images and links have long expired. Anyone got anything?

Seabees%20Alaskan%20jacket%201.png
Seabees%20Alaskan%20jacket%208.jpg

Pilot

Another BR invention.
The original has no zipped hood and is different in construction.
Never saw any photo like the BR creation.

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

never ever seen one like this, no publication, not on the WWW nor in any museum or alike - which does not mean they didn`t exist but possibility is relatively low (so to say ...)

MeachamLake

Thx for sharing, well done...Still doubt its original issued...but OK fair enough...happy to be convinced otherwise.

I too doubted it existed but I have never seen this picture before! A guy on instagram has another jacket which looks the same. He is adamant that the jackets were indeed real and issued to SeaBees, but they are unbelievably rare because so few were made.

Would love to find a photo of one being worn during WW2...that would be a scoop.

MikeyB-17

I find it hard to believe that a military issued jacket would have 'Seabees' on the label. Sounds more like a private purchase item.

Pilot

Wow! congrats...pockets look a bit different...IMHO...but maybe its the photo only...
Wow! and congrats in any case...

MeachamLake

That's pretty much bang on...it all adds up now.

Surely that must settle it? These jackets are real but unbelievably rare...I have looked for ages to find a photo and that's the first I've found. Well done!

dmar836

Really cool jacket but not too sure if it was a gov't issued thing. Contract number is interesting but...

bayrumblues

They are indeed real. We have two of them, and that photo is from our collection.

There were exclusively issued (in very limited numbers) to Seabees stationed in Alaska and Iceland early WW2. The "Seabees" tag can also be found on at least three pairs of trousers (We have two of these examples, and have seen one other. One pair was an unlined spring/ summer pant, which may have had a yet unknown jacket issued with it, which is exciting!)

View media item 588View media item 587View media item 586View media item 585View media item 584View media item 583View media item 582View media item 581

Last edited:

bayrumblues

Also, here is one of our jackets with the bib coveralls (hopefully I have attached the image correctly...let me know if it isn't visible.) The coveralls have the same "hook clasp" fasteners on either side as the dark navy USN deck coveralls. Totally lined with alpaca wool, and have the same layer of windproof "tyvek" material.

There are also names written in both of our jackets that have been traced to Seabees that were stationed in Alaska.

There are a number of hyper rare and unusual pieces of WW2 equipment that have yet to be discovered, or explained.

Attachments

• DSCF9216.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 216
Last edited:

Carl

Cant find anything in the Sigmund Eisner contracts that concurs with that contract number

bayrumblues

Not totally sure what there is to doubt, but to each their own. There are dozens of photos of them being worn in Seabees Cruise Books.

If you believe they are a civilian garment or private purchase then they would be the first I've ever seen with contract numbers, and worn this widely in photos.

The inability to find any info on a very obscure contract doesn't disprove the existence of the garments themselves, or the historic photos.

I've never really understood peoples utter resistance to this jacket in particular. Is it the fact that the label says "SEABEES" on it, which is admittedly unusual? I'm just curious. Totally open to hearing all sides of it.

Smithy

You've hit the nail on the head as to why some are sceptical of these. Firstly if they were supplied via a government approved contract then a contract number should exist in the paperwork. Secondly the fact that the label includes the nickname for a unit which is receiving these is more than unusual, it's unheard of.

I'm not an expert on USN jackets (or kit) for that matter and I'm just merely trying to articulate why some members are wary of these. You must surely understand therefore why for those on here with a lot of experience in researching contract numbers/orders/the paperwork and all the minutiae for flying equipment these jackets raise a few questions.