• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scored an ELC B-3 .50Cal

adfrost

I have to say, to my eye it’s too big. I love B-3’s, have one myself, but IMHO they have to fit right, and that one doesn’t, beautiful jacket though it is. I don’t subscribe to the idea that it’s OK to wear jackets oversized. A bit of room is good, some wore an A-2 under them, but there’s a limit. Not the first time I’ve heard complaints about ELC’s repro Crowns. It’s a shame because they look lovely-that one looks all wavy when unzipped, which makes me wonder if it was put in right.

I tend to agree with you regarding fit, though I feel like it's easier for smaller guys to wear more tailored outfits and have them actually look good. My goal with this jacket would be for it to be more fitted, and not wear any layers under it. As for the the zipper, the track is definitely wavy.

Zipper Closeup
by Aaron Frost, on Flickr

Officer Dibley

I’d be all about that if there were one to swap!

Nope, this guy was in California. Kind of surprised I didn’t see it posted here. And I don‘t/didn’t have Enough posts to share it in the eBay forum.

No one has been particularly negative or gotten personal, so I welcome the feedback. After wearing it around yesterday, I’m of the opinion that it’s too large as well. Seeing the asking price, I got an itchy trigger finger and snapped it up. Had I discovered this size chart before hand, I probably would not have done so. I didn’t expect a size 48 Eastman to actually be *larger* than an Aero 50, which is already larger than I’d prefer at my current weight (I’m on the look out for a smaller one, actually). Oh well...it’s a nice jacket and I’m sure I could probably recoup my costs. Problem is, I can’t see getting another one, sized correctly, at the price I paid! Between the Aero M-442a and now this, my eBay luck has not been good in regards to fit.

I’m curious for those who would know, it is typical for the arms on the B-3 to be that difficult to move in, or is that a function of the shearling & HH Eastman uses on the 50Cal line? The Aero shearling was supplemfrom day 1. Would their regular Werber contract jacket be more mobile? I don’t know that I’d want to pay full price for a new-from-factory 50Cal, but maybe the Werber...

Wasn’t implying anyone here had been rude ;) Though to be honest i have ignored the rude ones !
Yep, I bought the L-2 i have in the for sale section knowing it would probably be too small but what the heck right ?!

mulceber

Oh well...it’s a nice jacket and I’m sure I could probably recoup my costs. Problem is, I can’t see getting another one, sized correctly, at the price I paid! Between the Aero M-442a and now this, my eBay luck has not been good in regards to fit.

Sounds like you got it at a deal. If so, there’s a good chance you could not just recoup your losses, but make a decent profit, and that would get you closer to affording a properly-sized one.

Clark J

Do you have the original listing ? maybe it will still show up. Can't believe I missed it ,not that I would have bought it but just like to watch . Looks to big even for me.

Silver Surfer

with wear, the arms get looser so that you can do a heil hitler without probs [kidding on course]. want stiff unmovable arms?, get at lost worlds b-3. its like being spam in a can....and, they never break in properly.

bn1966

I was suprised at just how big the B-3 in 48 was. I'm usually a 48 in ELC sizing, 46 is my normal chest size though. Tried a 48 B-3 on & looked like I was being attacked by a bear, the 46 fitted perfectly though.

adfrost

I was suprised at just how big the B-3 in 48 was. I'm usually a 48 in ELC sizing, 46 is my normal chest size though. Tried a 48 B-3 on & looked like I was being attacked by a bear, the 46 fitted perfectly though.

Based on the measurement charts for various sheepskin jackets (including Irvins) on the History Preservaction site, all of them are oversized. Based on the measurements alone, I may even be able to fit comfortably into a size 44. My size 50 Aero B-6 has a chest measurement of 25”, and so does the size 44 ELC B-3. I understand there’s a difference in shearling thickness, but the Aero is pretty room on me too with that chest measurement.

Maybe Aero’s just run small?

B-Man2

The more I see the measurements, the more sure I am that I need a 44. These are definitely made "oversized" compared to an A-2 or G-1.
I would want to try on those different sizes first if possible before I made a decision to move that far back in the other direction in sizes.
I know it’s next to impossible to do, but check out the measurements with the seller before you buy something or you may find you’ve move too far back the other way.

adfrost

I would want to try on those different sizes first if possible before I made a decision to move that far back in the other direction in sizes.
I know it’s next to impossible to do, but check out the measurements with the seller before you buy something or you may find you’ve move too far back the other way.

Going off of the measurements of my B-6, which is loose on me these days, and the measurements of the B-3 on History Preservation (weird that the Eastman site doesn't have such a chart), I'm fairly confident a size 44 would fit just about right, given the thickness of the shearling. It would be awesome to try them on and compare, but considering I'm in the US, it pretty much is impossible. There is an online store selling a size 44, but unfortunately, they don't have a 46 I could exchange for in the event that ends up being too small. :(

B-Man2

Going off of the measurements of my B-6, which is loose on me these days, and the measurements of the B-3 on History Preservation (weird that the Eastman site doesn't have such a chart), I'm fairly confident a size 44 would fit just about right, given the thickness of the shearling. It would be awesome to try them on and compare, but considering I'm in the US, it pretty much is impossible. There is an online store selling a size 44, but unfortunately, they don't have a 46 I could exchange for in the event that ends up being too small. :(
Well .... There’s are two 46 ELC mixed batch Perry’s for sale on this forum, a used one and a new with tags one. ( Full Disclaimer here.... I happen to own both of them ) :)
Keep me in mind for a 46 if the 44 turns out to be too small on you.
cheers

ausreenactor

Well .... There’s are two 46 ELC mixed batch Perry’s for sale on this forum, a used one and a new with tags one. ( Full Disclaimer here.... I happen to own both of them ) :)
cheers

For sale, not for sale, for sale..... ;)

adfrost

cheers

I'll keep that in mind! Although, I have mixed (rimshot) feelings on the mixed-batch Perry. Somehow I completely missed those posts.

Speaking of which, one of my general complaints of this forum in comparison to some others I'm on (ie car forums & selling car parts) is that there doesn't appear to be any moderation/organization of the buy/sell sub-forum. What I mean is, the posts don't get locked or moved to another sub-forum once the item has closed. They just hang out there. And scrolling through the posts, its difficult to tell what is still available and what isn't. There are some old posts (like...over a year old) out there with nothing to indicate if the item sold...is that item still available? Did the seller forget about it? Tough to tell.

B-Man2

I'll keep that in mind! Although, I have mixed (rimshot) feelings on the mixed-batch Perry. Somehow I completely missed those posts.

Speaking of which, one of my general complaints of this forum in comparison to some others I'm on (ie car forums & selling car parts) is that there doesn't appear to be any moderation/organization of the buy/sell sub-forum. What I mean is, the posts don't get locked or moved to another sub-forum once the item has closed. They just hang out there. And scrolling through the posts, its difficult to tell what is still available and what isn't. There are some old posts (like...over a year old) out there with nothing to indicate if the item sold...is that item still available? Did the seller forget about it? Tough to tell.
Valid point ... you just have to PM the seller. I would venture a guess that a lot of jackets are still available that were for sale months ago, simply because sales have been a bit slow here on VLJ. The other option is to post a “Want to Buy” WTB listing and specially request what you’re looking for and let the sellers find you.