• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schott HH Question...

regius

The felt was somewhat a unique material that Schott use, but like the previous post said, gluing a layer of material to the rough side of leather is a standard fashion practice. It's called fusible lining/interfacing. It is to prevent stretchy leather stretch while going under the walking foot machine and getting sewn at small curved areas. It's just that Schott used a very thick fusible lining to give the stiffness, don't know why. Later on they dropped it, so if you handle the current production (actually, it's been 10 years now) HH, it's a lot softer and lighter, it's like a paper box, but supposedly will wrinkle up faster.

jac

Wow, I'm seeing this years after the fact. I can't tell you how many times I thought about doing this, I just haven't had the leisure! I may STILL do it. Though that lining makes the jacket incredibly warm, it's a bulky pain in the ass when it's not freezing. Personally, I think it gives the company an excuse not to use the thicker hides. I'm no company loyalist. Also, if it was such a great idea, when did the company stop this process when they started to get called out on it? (And I happen to know they did.)

Losing a big piece of writing is frustrating as hell. Whenever I get seriously involved in writing, I habitually keep a doc file updated so the whole bitch can crash and I'll still have a saved file.

So I just typed up a nice long post about my Schott jacket, and then a blackout caused it all to disappear. Let's hope I can make it through this one...

I have a Schott 641HH...

DistressedSchott020.jpg

....and I've never really been super pleased with the feel of the HH. It's always had a sort of plastic-like feel to it. The jacket never really took to my shape like leather does (even after soaking it and wearing it). There was just something I disliked about it.

So over the weekend I decided that since I never quite liked the quilted lining the jacket had, I'd cut it out and get it relined. Well upon removing the lining, I found out why I have hated Schott's HH so much, and maybe someone on the forum can enlighten me on what I found. There was a thick white felt attached to the rough side of the leather. It's nothing you can see on the finished product, but once you remove the lining it's everywhere. It's on every piece of leather used to make the jacket. It's firmly attached to the leather, but with some work you can peel it off and then cut it near the stitching. The following pics that I just took with my phone show what I mean...

Schott1.jpg

Schott2.jpg

In the bottom picture you can see black stuff on the underside of the felt.. that's from peeling it off the rough side of the leather.. it's really stuck to it. I just don't know why this stuff is used on the jacket... could it be to make us think the leather is more heavyweight than it really is? It really added to the stiff feel of the jacket, and the HH feels pretty thin after removal of the felt. Anybody know why the leather is done like this? The HH now feels great and I can't wait to get the jacket relined... it finally feels like real leather as opposed to something weird and unexplainable. Just looking for some answers.

Tommer
So I just typed up a nice long post about my Schott jacket, and then a blackout caused it all to disappear. Let's hope I can make it through this one...

I have a Schott 641HH...

DistressedSchott020.jpg

....and I've never really been super pleased with the feel of the HH. It's always had a sort of plastic-like feel to it. The jacket never really took to my shape like leather does (even after soaking it and wearing it). There was just something I disliked about it.

So over the weekend I decided that since I never quite liked the quilted lining the jacket had, I'd cut it out and get it relined. Well upon removing the lining, I found out why I have hated Schott's HH so much, and maybe someone on the forum can enlighten me on what I found. There was a thick white felt attached to the rough side of the leather. It's nothing you can see on the finished product, but once you remove the lining it's everywhere. It's on every piece of leather used to make the jacket. It's firmly attached to the leather, but with some work you can peel it off and then cut it near the stitching. The following pics that I just took with my phone show what I mean...

Schott1.jpg

Schott2.jpg

In the bottom picture you can see black stuff on the underside of the felt.. that's from peeling it off the rough side of the leather.. it's really stuck to it. I just don't know why this stuff is used on the jacket... could it be to make us think the leather is more heavyweight than it really is? It really added to the stiff feel of the jacket, and the HH feels pretty thin after removal of the felt. Anybody know why the leather is done like this? The HH now feels great and I can't wait to get the jacket relined... it finally feels like real leather as opposed to something weird and unexplainable. Just looking for some answers.

Tommer

Tommer45

Wow, I'm seeing this years after the fact....

Jac, haven't been around here in a few years... just seeing your reply now. I barely ever wear that jacket. Never was a fan of the leather, pre or post the fusable that was on the backside of the leather. I also haven't purchased a Schott since, although I do enjoy checking out their NYC store from time to time.