• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schott B-3 Sizing

JulianK

Hi everyone,

I live in Canada and we experience some pretty chilly weather here. I’m looking at picking myself up a reproduction B-3 that I can wear around and I am looking at a used Schott jacket.

My Aero highwayman is a size 40 but I saw this B-3 as a size 38 but with the following measurements:

pit to pit: 22.4 inches
Shoulders: 20 inches
Length: 25.6 inches
Sleeve length: 25.6 inches

am I missing something here or does it look like it would fit significantly larger than a 38?

J

Attachments

• 5C79215A-788E-4E6A-A7DF-B4AE8672BD08.jpeg
    5C79215A-788E-4E6A-A7DF-B4AE8672BD08.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 274

mulceber

Well you've got two factors in play here: one is that Aero's sizing is much larger than most vintage jacket manufacturers. I normally wear a size 40 or 42 jacket, and I would wear a size 38 highwayman, just going by the measurements. The other factor is that shearling jackets need the extra space because the material is so thick. My size 42 B-3 has a pit to pit of 24", so 22.4 on a size 38 sounds about right, maybe just a touch large. If you wear a size 40 Highwayman, my best guess (emphasis on guess) is that you'd wear a size 42-44 B-3 jacket, at least among authentic manufacturers.

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

it might be easier to suss out if ya post your chest, shoulder, arm measurements, as taken with a tape measure and some pix to show at what points you are measuring from and too. size tags can be misleading.

stanier

Yes, must account for the fleece depth in the overall p2p width. And don't confuse a jacket that measures 40 (or whatever) with a jacket to fit a chest that measures 40 (or whatever).

mulceber

Yes, must account for the fleece depth in the overall p2p width. And don't confuse a jacket that measures 40 (or whatever) with a jacket to fit a chest that measures 40 (or whatever).

That’s a very important point: jacket size does not equal chest measurement.

JulianK

it might be easier to suss out if ya post your chest, shoulder, arm measurements, as taken with a tape measure and some pix to show at what points you are measuring from and too. size tags can be misleading.

my physical measurements are

pit-to-pit: 19 inches
Shoulders: 19 inches
Arm length: 24 inches
Torso length: 23 inches

I measured a cheaper shearling jacket I own that just says “medium” and it measured slightly smaller than the Schotts jacket in question. I’m assuming the shearling is much thicker in the Schott jacket. Hopefully someone who owns a similar jacket could compare measurements relative to their physical measurements.

appreciate the input guys!

Silver Surfer

if the stated measurements for the Schott are correct, it would seem that it would be a good fit for ya by way of your personal measurements.