• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schott 641HH Cafe Racer...

Tommer45

This was from May 2007....

So here we go.. my second attempt at a jacket review. This one, as the name of the thread suggests, is a Schott 641HH Cafe Racer. It is my first horsehide jacket, and my second Schott (the first was a Vintage Brown 585.. which I recently sold).

My frist impressions of this jacket when I took it out of the box was that it is pretty heavy duty. I have stated in previous posts that the recent Schotts I have tried on felt very thin when compared to my Langlitz. This jacket isn't as thick as my Langlitz, but it is definitely thicker than a lot of jackets out there. I would feel confident that the jacket would hold up while sliding down the pavement.. I'd just have to remember to wear it! I give the 641HH high scores for feeling like a tough, bad*ss jacket.

I've never owned a horsehide jacket before, and I gotta say that I love the leather. It's different than any other jacket I've ever owned. The grain of the HH is beautiful.. I love it. I can't wait to see this sucker after a year or two of use. The HH is pretty shiny but it adds to the uniqueness of the leather. Like I said I don't own any other HH jackets so I don't know if the shine fades over time.. only time will tell.

The jacket is pretty stiff, as I assumed it would be. There will be no quick break-in here. Bending your arms requires some effort and sitting with the jacket zipped up is very uncomfortable. It appears that what I've read about the stiffness of HH is true... not that I doubted you guys.

Probably the only thing I would not consider "up to par" with a $600+ jacket (I ordered directly from Schott, so I realise I paid a premium price), is the stitching. Honestly, this category really doesn't mean much to me. If a jacket doesn't fall apart on me, than I'm happy with the stitching. But many reviews discuss stitching so I thought I'd throw it in. I hate to compare everything to my Langlitz, but that's the only other high-end jacket I own. The Schott definitely doesn't compare. There are numerous threads that were left an inch or two too long, which I carefully removed with a scissor. Following the stitching lines around the jacket, several of them look like a winding country road.. nothing too sloppy but still not perfect. Also, where rows of stitching come to an end, they were sloppily doubled and tripled over so as to not come undone. But again, these are not big concerns of mine and would never be a reason for me to return a jacket.

So let's start with some pics...

Ahhh the box... there's nothing better than the UPS guy dropping off your new jacket!

SchottHH032.jpg

Like most new jackets, it is pretty stiff and can pretty much stand up on it's own. The HH has a nice shine to it...

SchottHH007.jpg

The leather has some great grain to it right out of the box... I can't wait to see it broken in...

SchottHH020.jpg

SchottHH029.jpg

The 641HH has one inside pocket with no zipper or closure. The lining is sewn in (previous runs of this model had a zip-out lining).

SchottHH001.jpg

The jacket has a bi-swing back and underarm footballs with two small air-holes in them. Notice the beautiful grain in the one piece back.

SchottHH008.jpg

The zippers on the sleeves are Lenzip, which is based out of Chicago I believe. I'm not sure what brand the rest of the zippers are (the main zip reads "Schott"), but I know Schott usually uses Lenzip or Ideal (NY based).

SchottHH027.jpg

The sides of the jacket can be tightened or loosened by way of side buckles.

SchottHH026.jpg

The front chest pocket is a good looking feature, but when open there is barely enough room to fit a hand in there to reach anything that may be resting at the bottom of the pocket. If I had some loose change or my riding ear-plugs in the pocket, it would be a real pain trying to get them out. Looks nice, though...

SchottHH005.jpg

The HH is pretty evenly matched all over the jacket, but I gotta say the left front panel has much more grain and texture than the right front. Maybe it just needs time to break in, but right now you can easily tell the grainy side from the smooth side.

SchottHH002.jpg

And last but not least.. the Tag. A few years ago this jacket had a Perfecto tag, but I guess they decided to change that and use the standard HH tag.

SchottHH021.jpg

Conclusion:

All in all I am very pleased with this jacket. As you can see in the picture of the tag, it is a size 50. I am a size 46 normally, and would have ordered this in a 48 because they run small. Since Schott and every other place I tried was out of size 48, I went with the 50. The only areas that this jacket feels slightly big in are the chest and shoulders. But even then I'd only take out about an inch from each of those. The waist, arms, wrists and neck are all perfect. Being that this will most likely be an everyday jacket as opposed to strictly a riding jacket, I am fine with it being a little big in certain areas. I am certainly not built like a gentleman from the 40s or 50s, and that is the build they use to make the cut of this jacket.

I loved my former Schott and I'm sure I will love this one too. It appears to be a great all around jacket, and puting it on gives you that "old school" feeling.. the jacket feels like it's from the past with the grainy HH and chain zipper pulls on the pockets. If I awarded my Langlitz with an A+, this jacket would get a solid A. It's a great piece of work from a company with tons of American history behind it.

Do unlike I do... and keep the shiny side up!!

Tommer

chicken

Tommer, very nice purchase. And thanks for the review. I can't wait to see how it will age overtime, too.

This is a by-the-way FYI, but I happen to have a lower end cowhide Schott riders jacket I bought about a year ago. It came with YKK zippers, which I'm not too psyched about. It also has a zip-out lining, where the thread is already coming apart. But other than these details, I love the cut and design, and even the cowhide excites me to keep wearing it. One of these days, I might just give in and upgrade to horsehide, though.

captaincaveman1

Cool. I have this jackets collared cousin - the 689H.

First, I noticed many of the same observations you bring up about your jacket. Mine also has alot of loose threads that I'm surprised to find in a 600+ dollar jacket but I got mine at 450 shipped from a store in the Bronx. So that problem seems to be endemic across the production range.

Second, the grain on mine is also more pronounced on the side without the front breast pocket. Oh well, I guess that's just natural "character" since horsies aren't made on production lines.

But the hardware on the 689 is brass vs. steel, which I like since the yellow color is a nice contrast to the black leather. Mine also has the non-removable quilted vest liner but I have two inside pockets. Oh yeah, I've likewise concluded that the front exposed pocket is totally useless unless you have little raccoon hands. LOL

arclight

Hey Tommer45;

Do you still have your Schott 641HH? If so, how is it after break in? Did some of the shine go away? Any remarks would be appreciated. Yea, you guessed it..........I want the 641HH.

Thanks, arclight

atkins

That jacket is very "Tommer" and heavy duty looking leather ! Weather it on your Harley or Triumph or any of your new bike? Congrats .

Tommer45

Sorry I didn't see your posts sooner...

I gotta be honest, I don't really wear the 641 all that much... if ever. Compared to my other horsehide and even cowhide jackets, I'd have to rate the leather on the lower end of the scale. There's just something about the leather that I don't like.. I don't want to say plasticky (if that's even a word), but it doesn't have the hand that Aero's hh or Langlitz' cow has.

I do have a Legendary horsehide jacket that I bought last year, and even though it's made by Schott the leather is superior to my 641. I heard recently that Schott has been working much closer with their tannery(s) to get a more quality hide. Maybe the newer 641s have the better hide? I don't know.

Tommer

Tommer45

Figured I would give a 4 year update on my Schott HH jacket. It's junk. I never wear it. I had it relined and it's still just...I don't know...not great. The HH used it trash compared to other company's leathers. The cafe racer style collar sticks straight up too high and stiff and annoyingly rubs my chin, and when I have a helmet on it's constantly catching on it. It drives me nuts. I keep it as my token black moto jacket, but I hate it.

Glad to be back on VLJ.. haven't been here in years!

colekwok

Tommer45 said:
Figured I would give a 4 year update on my Schott HH jacket. It's junk. I never wear it. I had it relined and it's still just...I don't know...not great. The HH used it trash compared to other company's leathers. The cafe racer style collar sticks straight up too high and stiff and annoyingly rubs my chin, and when I have a helmet on it's constantly catching on it. It drives me nuts. I keep it as my token black moto jacket, but I hate it.

Glad to be back on VLJ.. haven't been here in years!

Wow, thanks for the 4yr update! I guess it has to be a long due.

As for the collar, that is quite a common problem for cafe racer type jackets. Thankfully, competition weight Vanson's collar has soften up quite a bit over the years.