• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Salute the Wonky - show us the wonky stitching etc on your original jacket

Lord Flashheart

With no apologies whatsoever I'm going to quote from a recent post by Burt elsewhere here:

"That really is one of the more laughable contradictions of this hobby. We all want the most realistic and accurate WWII reproduction A2 jacket that can be made. A virtual clone of an issued USAAF A2 jacket, duplicating an original jacket right down to the number of stitches per inch. However, when the jacket arrives it has to be perfect in every respect and NOT include any of the wonkiness and mistakes that could typically be found on most issued jackets of the day. So on one hand we want an “Original Repro “ but on the other hand we want a “ Perfect Repro” . And here’s the really funny part of all this ……. What do we do when the day comes that the PERFECT jacket, that you waited several months for, and paid hundreds of dollars for arrives ?? ……… Well hell man! ………..You wear the piss out of it and beat the hell out of it !! …… of course you do … I mean you want it to look like an original … right ???
You really have to take a look at this hobby and laugh. And yes …. I’m as guilty of this as anyone here"

So, please post pics of the wonky detailing, stitching or otherwise, on your original jacket. Call it a tribute to all the real people to made our jackets, had good days and bad, were new to the job or long experienced, paying attention or distracted or just being hassled by their supervisor to hit their production target for the day or week. No less part of the war effort than any other.

If only I had a pic I could post to kick this off but my one original doesn't seem to have any wonk!

mulceber

Great thread idea. I'm interested in the early 20th century garment industry, and I love those wonky details.

Bunch of people have seen this one before, but it’s a pretty striking example. You can just imagine the factory worker sewing the zipper in, then something suddenly gets her attention and whoops!
E393C672-45DF-4D6C-9C52-274A3BBE6D01.jpeg

Oh and here's a picture of the whole jacket, just for fun.
69470A08-9897-437A-8C79-E05A81D15669_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

Spitfireace

Great thread idea. I'm interested in the early 20th century garment industry, and I love those wonky details.

Bunch of people have seen this one before, but it’s a pretty striking example. You can just imagine the factory worker sewing the zipper in, then something suddenly gets her attention and whoops!View attachment 69871

Oh and here's a picture of the whole jacket, just for fun.
View attachment 69875
sweet.

Nnatalie

Don't have any myself (though I'm sure I've got some bits of wonkiness on civilian clothing), but just wanted to say that I love this reminder of all the humans behind the jackets and other equipment. Its too bad that we've got no way to track down who specifically worked on any given jacket.

Flightengineer

I think this happened everywhere and even after the war when there was no such urgency in the equipment, and probably still exists now, cause no matter how much we worry about , this is a service jackets, not a dress uniform. From the fact that somewhere there is not a very even stitch or a slightly higher pocket, the thing doesn't lose its functionality either in the cockpit or on the battlefield

STEVE S.

Geez, I could write a book & fill volumes with the stuff I’ve seen on all the originals to pass through here.

Probably the craziest thing I’ve had to deal with was the original A-2, sz 40 that had one of the front panels that was originally pulled out of the bin & installed from a larger sz 42 jacket. Looking at it, you could tell right away that something wasn’t right, just took awhile to sort out what it was.

Another that comes to mind because it was just a couple weeks back was the A2 with the drunken top stitching on the windflap side. Where it usually runs straight down to or through the waistband, this one took a detour out into the middle of the bottom zipper box. Amazing thing was that over time, it didn’t destroy the zipper tape as it was so close to the bottom male end that it was almost unzippable. Don’t see how that tape didn’t come Apart after almost 80 yrs.

BC8256AC-0A63-4A37-8C7E-31FED5289F24.jpeg

B-Man2

Geez, I could write a book & fill volumes with the stuff I’ve seen on all the originals to pass through here.

Probably the craziest thing I’ve had to deal with was the original A-2, sz 40 that had one of the front panels that was originally pulled out of the bin & installed from a larger sz 42 jacket. Looking at it, you could tell right away that something wasn’t right, just took awhile to sort out what it was.

Another that comes to mind because it was just a couple weeks back was the A2 with the drunken top stitching on the windflap side. Where it usually runs straight down to or through the waistband, this one took a detour out into the middle of the bottom zipper box. Amazing thing was that over time, it didn’t destroy the zipper tape as it was so close to the bottom male end that it was almost unzippable. Don’t see how that tape didn’t come Apart after almost 80 yrs.

View attachment 76181
Steve
I bet you’ve seen a shit load of real screwed up sewing jobs on original jackets.
I think it’s kind of funny when we collectively start talking about comparing parts and sections of repro jackets for accuracy and authenticity, but yet wouldn’t accept a newly purchased repro if it turned up looking like some of the examples of original jackets you’ve showed us or some that we’ve handled .

B-Man2

As an add on to my last post , most will say that there’s a big difference between having a jacket issued to you Vs having to pay hundreds of dollars for a wonky jacket. And of course they’d be right. I just have always found it funny that as much as we strive for and voice our opinions over wanting a repro as close in accuracy to an original as can possibly be made ….. we draw the line when it comes to a waved stitch line or a misaligned pocket flap .

Lord Flashheart

In fairness Burt we've probably all been led to believe by marketing that production quality should be such that everything should be "just so". And we're not dealing with a Saville Row suit here. Your outfitter is interested in defence of the realm not the way the stitch is done in the top corner of the pocket. These are a re-assuring sign that someone having a good / bad / distracted day made your jacket.

Even if your maker has been asked to do wonky stitching and, when you come to part with the jacket years hence, you have to spend ages convincing a sceptical purchaser that you deliberately asked for it and the wandering stitches weren't a Friday afternoon / sale job.

I'm surprised no one has thought to charge a premium for it. Yet. ;)