• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saint Exupery's A-2

Saint-ex

Hello.

When I discovered this forum, I was re-reading "Pilote de Guerre" (Flight to Arras), so when choosing a pseudo I chose Saint Ex, because it is the diminutive frequently used in France to talk about Antoine de Saint Exupery.

So when I present myself, Brettafett told he think he wore a Dobow.

(Am pretty sure he wore a Dubow A-2)

Here are some pictures taken from the book "Au revoir Saint Ex", written by John Phillips who shot the last images of Antoine de Saint Exupery in 1944.

I'm curious to know what A-2 he is wearing and what makes you think that ?

IMG_1095.jpegIMG_1092.jpegIMG_1093.jpegIMG_1094.jpeg

B-Man2

Don’t know what maker A2 he was wearing but it looks to be just a bit large on him . However, I think that’s ok because sizing was all over the place in WWII.

Saint-ex

Hey, @DiamondDave , following the @2BM2K comment, I was looking for Dubow 20960 or a 23379 and I saw this GW repro, and yes, it's very close.

There does look to be a collar stand.
So it could be either a Dubow 20960 or a 23379.

The zipper would then most likely be a Kwik.
If I believe the Gary Eastman book, 20960 was collar stand and Crown Zipper. 23379 was both, Collar stand and Regular, and some came with Kwik zipper.
I did not see in the photos what makes you think of a Kwik zipper ?

Thanks all, for your expertise.;)

Saint-ex

So, if I’m following all evidences, should be a J. A. Dubow Mfg., co. Contract/order No: W535ac 23379 with collar stand and Kwik zipper.

2BM2K

The above photo, post#8, is a Dubow 20960.

The jacket worn by Antoine de Saint Exupery is a Dubow 20960 with a Kwik zipper.

Members online

Latest posts