• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust stains on B15-A

bazelot

I just bought an original Berk-Ray B-15A which shows zero sign of wear according to the seller but it has a few rust stain spots on the shell. What would be the best way of cleaning them up? I do not want to dry clean it so it will have to be a per stain cleaning basis. THanks.

foster

Every rust removing method I have personally attempted has caused noticeable fading to the fabric. How serious are these stains?

Pilot

Try vinegar concentrate ( V.C.) , try first on a hidden spot to check how the fabric color reacts.
Fresh lime/lemon juice also works fine. The VC works best, try it with ear/ cotton buds so no big surface.

bazelot

So pure vinegar?
A couple of pics:
rust.JPG
rust1.JPG

Pilot

Yes pure...but again, try it first on a hidden spot...check the fabrics and color reaction.
Try also fresh squeezed lemon juice...it surely will not harm.
Cotton buds only...so precise dispensing of the fluids please.
Had the same issue on German WW2 flight jackets with a lousy shabby late war, fabric quality ...and it worked out perfectly.

Dany McDonald

You could also try borax with your lemon juice or vinegar, it's really soft and will not harm the color. But ALWAYS try on a hidden spot.

Be prepared to gently wash the entire garment in water after, as it can leave a dark circle where you have applied the solution.

D

bazelot

I would be reluctant to try anything. Embrace it as is. Like others in this post I have only increased the impact or ruined the jacket completely..
Yup, i tried on one spot and it discolored the material, damaged it and the stain is still there. I will never attempt it again. Jacket is fine the way it is and i should not have attempted it in the first place. I am glad i picked a location that is not too obvious.

Dany McDonald

baselot, have you tried washing the discolored spot with water? Sometimes the discoloration is cause by residue left from the products used in the process? Once rinsed it can disappear and reveal the original color.

I've also noticed that very old garment (especially cotton, linen, wool) are soiled with years of exposition to dust and whatnot, so once a spot is exposed to liquid it needs a gentle clean up after...

Can you share an image of the spot?

D