• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust knits B10's - argument over?

Technonut2112

I can't seem to find a pic of an original Superior Togs B-10 out there... My Google-Fu fails me. I look at it this way, I am NOT an reenactor, I'm not going to be subjected to an inspection of the knit color on my jacket (at least not in the 'real-world'.. Here is another story), and I kind of liked the color contrast on my Bronson B-10 with red knits. IMO, unless you are sporting an original B-10, ALL repros are indeed 'fashion' jackets, each with their own +'s & -'s regarding period accuracy. BR has authentic features which Eastman lacks and vise-versa.

So unless one is taking a trip back in time for a military inspection, or is an avid WWII reenactor, WEAR WHAT YOU LIKE! ;) I can easily solve the 'issue' by using green knits on a BR Superior Togs when the red eventually fails. Then, I have the look & style I like for awhile, and a damn good repro of a seldom seen B-10 contract (with the pocket flap shape I prefer over the RW) after the green knits are installed. :) Winner-winner-chicken-dinner for me at least! :D

stanier

Sorry but I’m still not convinced one way or the other.

Whilst in no way doubting the voracity of Pilot’s post, there are bits of the information that don’t add up. Would love some further information to backup the point.

For example, European and US sales of BR production don’t seem to have really been the focus market for them, so why buy bucket loads of red knits for unproven markets? Presumably there could well be at least stacks of labels somewhere too! Let alone how many repro jacket sales are of repro Aero product. The most basic market research would have suggested caution, particularly with an unsigned contract. I understand a marketing department might make a mistake, but presumably the rest of the business leadership would have to sanction the spend.

Also, in the US I understand from what’s been posted in this forum elsewhere that Gary Eastman owns the rights to the Aero name, whereas in UK at least its Ken ‘s name so how did that all fall? (Sorry, I nearly said “knit together” but thought best avoided!) Particularly as BR and Eastman and History Preservation seem to have a very close relationship.

Then there’s the Japanese market itself which would have probably devoured any excess production if it was needed. And the label issue (I don’t think) would apply as copyright laws in Japan aren’t the same as elsewhere as Levi’s discovered.

Sorry to swim against the tide, but these are just some thoughts and I’m not convinced yet! That’s not to say the info is wrong, just needs some verification imho.

Technonut2112

Running through pics of Superior Togs jackets from the 50's, it seems a bit beyond coincidence that they liked using different colored knits:

http://www.marvins-jp.com/military/mt-497-(418)/mt-497.html

mt497-1.jpg

http://www.marvins-jp.com/whatsnew/mt-369-(1072)/mt-369.html

mt497-1.jpg

No label on this one:

https://magnetsco.exblog.jp/26048858/

c0078587_21504843.jpg

Looking closely at a couple of pics in the above links, the knit stitching looks original to me.

There are similar images of others out there... I found this odd regarding the history of Superior Togs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_Apparel_L.L.C.

In January, 1948 Robert Lane formed Superior Togs Corporation in New York City to manufacture flight jackets for the Department of Defense. In 1951 he moved his expanding business to a factory to Elizabeth, New Jersey. The following year the Government suspended operations for problems related to contract obligations. In response Lane reformed his company under a different name, Rolen Sportswear, and resumed production of flight jackets for the DOD.[1]

If a company named 'Superior Togs' was a contractor for B-10's during WWII, it must be a different one than mentioned above that I cannot find info about... Given the above pics, it wouldn't seem out of the ordinary for them to have installed red knits on their B-10's if indeed the same company.........

Last edited: