• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Run Silent Run Deep... Some great deck jackets in there...

Griffon_301

I was watching "Run Silent Run Deep" lately. In my opinion one of the best submarine movies ever, and starring Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster, with a story written by a real WW2 Sub-skipper, what could go wrong?
What I noticed for the first time (shame on me) is the fact that there are a lot of nice deck jackets of various versions to be seen...especially in the end, when the crew buries her fallen skipper at sea, there is a great scene with the sailors wearing a mix of N-1s, hook deck jackets and some an earlier zip deck jacket thrown in as well...Clark Gable also wore a nice hook deck jacket in the movie...

So if you watch the movie next time,.pay attention to the jackets...makes me look forward to the time I can give my BR deck jackets some more wear time again...

Last edited:

Geeboo

Tks for sharing. Unlike my impression, all the front & back of the jackets & shirts worn look very clean in the sense of no stencil [even USN stencil], no ship name, no patches - just plain.
Haven't watch the whole movie, have it indicated what exact year was it talking about ?
n1.jpg
n2.jpg
n3.jpg
n4.jpg
n5.jpg

Last edited:

Griffon_301

In the scene were the skipper, played by Gable breaks down on the bridge and his hoisted below decks you can see that his jacket has the US NAVY stencil on the back and on various short occasions during the final convoy battle, Gable's jacket shows some stencil on the front too..looks like a number or something...